Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride Height

Question Ride Height

I measured the ride height from the ground up the middle of my wheel to bottom of fender lip and have 26 3/8 back and 26 1/4 front. TRE is saying std. is more like 25 front and 25 1/2 front.

Wondering if my handling is off because of this and should I replace original 64,000 mile bushings at same time with rubber or brass/urethane?

It will be an apx. $900 investment to change height and bushings at TRE.

Should I go lower since I only really get one shot at this? if I go lower will there be bump steer issues?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Lowering

My car was transformed after lowering it into the 25" range, actually I think I am a little lower than 25" due to my 195-60 tires. I am running some negative camber too, about 2 - 2.5° which helps. I replaced the spring plate bushings then too, so I need to do the rest of the bushings.
    Joe
    Now - 1993 C2
    Past - 1968 911L

Praise the lowered...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

As pwd said !

Definately lower the car !!!
    Just overhauled the susp. on my E.
    New ball joints, all new bushings front/rear, Turbo tie-rod ends,
    bump steer kit, bigger torsion bars 21/26, SC spring-plates.
    Lowered to 25/25.5, corner balanced & align.
    Car is totally different, rides & handles like its on rails.

Due to the age of these cars, despite low miles, plan on a
    "while your in there" mode of thinking. More than likely
    everything will be worn.
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Lower to euro height (what TRE said) and replace your old bushings. If you're primarily going to use this on the street, I'd suggest you use Neatrix bushings in back and Weltmeister poly bushings in front. This is pretty much a stock set up and works good for many. I wouldn't spend the big bucks for other solutions unless you have more of a track inclination. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

thanks guys for your opinions

let you know how it goes
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Type911
    As pwd said !

Definately lower the car !!!

Lowered to 25/25.5, corner balanced & align.
    Car is totally different, rides & handles like its on rails.
    Me too !
    Best money spent yet since I bought it.

So THATS what the fuss is all about !!!!

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Almost like getting a new car.....

I recently did new rear bushes, shocks, corner balanced, aligned, and lowered on my'73. It was like getting a new car. Well worth the cost and time. After I got my car back, I was wondering why I waited so long....

As others noted, any suspension work you are considering should be done at the same time to get the most out the cost of the lower/align/corner balance you will need to have performed. Items to consider include bushes, torsion bars, shocks, tie rods, bump steer kit.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Lowered

One of my machines is not lowered, but the bushings are perfect and the alignment is spot on, the thing handles exellent and rides like a dream. Something to be said for the stock engineering of the suspension. Eurotech has ridden and driven the car. Iam not so sure that lowering will give you everthing a particular individual is looking for, I accually raised another of my cars back up after installing Bilstein all the way around, and the overall drivability improved.

Jeff Smith

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Which is the "stock" set-up (engineering wise) - the euro or american ?
    I thought the reason the ride hight was raised here was for bumper impact regs.

I agree with Jeff - the important thing is to dial in the alignment (and be sure the bushings and T bars are good) - the set up is a matter of taste and purpose.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606