Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 Porsche 911T Coupe 2.2

1971 Porsche 911T Coupe 2.2

Not mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I was wondering why this should be valued at $22-$24k with 80k-90k mileage while a 73 and 1/2 T that they sold previously, about 2 weeks or so ago, in sepia brown, was only at $18k with similar mileage and CIS as opposed to weber carbs. Obviously, as i did not do a PPI, I cannot tell the condition between the 2, but all things being equal, why a higher valuation on this 71? Both are T's.
    Both look to be in spectacular condition, but californiaclassix do a really good job of preparing cars, and do find pretty good ones as well.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

I would guess because of the color!

'71t

I saw and drove this car last week.
    It is a very nice original car with an above average respray in its original colour. The interior was in good shape. Minimal cracking of the dash, in the usual spots. The seats look good but are worn out spring-wise. The headliner should be replaced. All the door seals need replacing. It was straight and rust free. The engine appeared to run well. The engine bay, and much of the engine itself, were sprayed in clear laqueur. This was disappointing to me. It had factory (?) installed Weber IDA's which were tuned and doing well. The Morrelli distributor looks cool but probably belongs in a museum. All the original paperwork was there.

Bernard's "magic number" was $22.5K a week ago. He is a hell of a nice guy, but I thought that was a bit too high.
    Lovely colour though ...
    Howard Lazarus
    Early S Registry #357
    RGruppe #181
    1971 911S Conda Green, Factory Airport Gears
    1972 Corsican Rose Love Fest

To me this shows there isn’t really any substitute for a fair and balanced first hand appraisal. I’m located in England and have recently made up my mind to purchase a 71-73 911. This particular car seems very appealing by description and even price and a lot cheaper compared to the cars available here, even when you consider the time and money required to have it shipped over. I was planning to put in a bid, but based on what you say Howard I will more likely wait for something else. That’s not to say this looks like a bad car by any means, but perhaps not as factory perfect as I first thought.
    I’m still doing my research and following these threads closely. Keep up the good work and I hope I can rely on some advice when I think I’ve found my dream 911

You're welcome!

I am pleased to hear that my impressions have proven helpful to you in your decision making process. It is a lovely car, but clearly in need of some attention. I would have been a buyer at $15-16K. The seller, I suspect, would not have been particularly interested in any such offer ...

Of interest, I believe that his Sepia Brown car did sell to someone in the United Kingdom.

I wish you good luck in your search.
    Howard Lazarus
    Early S Registry #357
    RGruppe #181
    1971 911S Conda Green, Factory Airport Gears
    1972 Corsican Rose Love Fest

What a great breakdown, you are very correct, the last one i bought from bill and bernard, extremely nice guys by the way, i paid 17500, there prices have gone up, but like Bernard says, we use to find them all the time, now good ones are scarse. Now 22500 its a thinking, but i do love the color, i have a twin.

I too bought a car from bill and bernard, and they are very nice guys, and i am happy with the car. perhaps i might have found one for less money somewhere else, but that is besides the point really. Get the best car for the most you can afford.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Yes you are truly right, my twin, i bought for 12500, but now i have to redo the engine, so just that alone will put me in the 18 mark or so, good cars are hard to find, but the good fortune is that there is a whole lot of info and eyes i this forum that if you need to get a car areal good one, they usually know about it firts. For my next 911, i will def turn here, before lurking into the waters

Sometimes in life, though, you just have to take a chance...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100