Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 RS Replica Concour Restoration

1973 RS Replica Concour Restoration

Not mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

This car has been on ebay before & discussed on this board previously.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hey Guys,

There may have been more discussed on Pelican, Anyway I had a chance to see this car over the weekend and it really is spectacular. It is basically a new RS without of course being an authentic car.

I have the same car, same colors but a REAL RS that I would like to sell in the 140 range. (Pictures soon) It is not quite as nice in condition but it is REAL.

Best,

Don

One dead on clue that it's a replica is the '72 oil door. Don, as beautiful as it is, this replica makes me realize why Carrol Shelby despises all the replica Cobras out there. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but...somehow, the real deal suffers.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Funny you should bring up Shelby. Also had a chance to see one of his "Continuation Cobras" (at the same show on Sunday) which in reality is just an authorized replica. They are even titled as 1965 cars but are currently built. Imagine that. They are very nice though..

You may be right about the replicas taking away from the originals though. Seems like everyone is RSed out lately.

Don

Weren't some of the early RS cars delivered with the '72 style oil filler door? I remember reading this somewhere but cannot remember the source.
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

Real or replica

So what does someone do who wants an ST, RSR, R, RS, T/R, etc. that he (or she) can drive and enjoy, without fear of lost investment, to its full extent (or intent)?
    I don't think a replica de-values an original. A replica Porsche is still a Porsche. Most replica Shelbys are fibreglass reproductions with no pedigree.
    I think Mr Shelby is angry that people are making money on his "history", and rightly so. But this kind of thing is not something one can protect in the United States.
    I have an RS replica but the clues are there so Porsche people will know it is not a real RS. It has never been reprsented as such. But it is personalized. And the modifications performed on this fake are things I wouldn't dream of doing to a real RS.
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net

1972 RS Replica

I think that I saw this car at German Autofest 2004. If it's the same car, it was spectacular!
    Howard Lazarus
    Early S Registry #357
    RGruppe #181
    1971 911S Conda Green, Factory Airport Gears
    1972 Corsican Rose Love Fest

Quote Originally Posted by songhoh
    I have an RS replica but the clues are there so Porsche people will know it is not a real RS. It has never been reprsented as such. But it is personalized. And the modifications performed on this fake are things I wouldn't dream of doing to a real RS.

Caroll Shelby signed the glovebox door of a friends reproduction 350GT (R) Mustang. It was so good that only the owner knew it wasn't real. He never lied about its pedigree and Shelby knew it when he signed it. He can enjoy the car and not worry about hurting its value.
    FWIW, there are some really bad replicas out there. "Back in the day" the only two that mattered were ERA and Contemporary Cobra. Everyone got in on the bandwagon and even now Chuck Beck has licensed Superformance to do 904 knock offs. So, you can get fake Cobras, fake 911 Carreras, fake Ferraris and fake tits. What's next?

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111