Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hats off to Larry :)

Hats off to Larry :)

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. Anyway, some months ago, a long thread about toolkits, Larry Chester posted a pic. I noticed that he carries a 944 Aluminum jack. So, after we exchanged an email or two, I bought one from Pelican classifieds. Never one to rush into things, I experimented in my garage today. Placing an aftermarket jack hole insert in the car, using the 944 Jack on it, plenty of lift for tire changing. I haven't used a scales, but I'd say an easy 10 lb. less weight carried in my trunk now, when compared to the NAPA scissors jack I'd carried for decades. So, Thanks Larry! Now to hope it's like the NAPA jack...I never had to use it!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Paul or Larry ;

Will any 944 aluminum jack work ?

Thanks

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I'm not sure John, I didn't ask the year of the one I bought...just asked if it was aluminum. It works...Larry machined off the bump on his, added a non slip pad...I played with leaving the bump on, figuring it added a bit of lift height. After playing in the garage, I decided either way works, the weight of the car against the jack hole insert making enough grip to make the machining not needed. There was plenty of lift to take my wheel/tire combo off the ground. That's all I'd use a carry jack for. No way I'd crawl under a car if a tire changing jack was the only support...Larry's mod may be superior, but he works for a tool company, got it done for free.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks Paul.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Paul:

Thanks for the public kudo, and glad that it worked for you. I felt that if I could get a Porsche jack to work, it was better than Napa. Not like the craftsman tools I carry are an authentic Porsche accessory.

One of the benies of working for a company with an authentic machine shop. The guys did me proud.

But, I'm in the same camp you are -- hope that I never have to use it.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

That's what I'm afraid of - my original spare has never touched the road. I'll buy this jack and prob have to put it right to work.
    Kinda like what happened to me right after I got health bennies.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

John, I disagree...I think it's just the opposite. Murphy's law states that when on a road trip, you'll never have a need for a tool or a spare part that you carry.

In that case I should hitch up a parts car and take Murphy for a ride.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I made this "upgrade" awhile back. However, I recommend it for emergency lifting only. The factory jack is unsafe.

Sherwood

I know there are at least 2 different ways the top of the jacks look - I chose one that seemed to fit the body seams.