Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real or Replica debate

Real or Replica debate

Debate sounds too harsh a word, but I'm interested in the views of members of this board about replica cars. By replicas I mean replica Porsches. R, RS, RSR, ST, T/R, etc. Is it ok to clone? Do you think it takes away from the original?
    Although this topic may have been covered before, please respond as we have many new and young members, myself included.
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net

positively okay to clone or replicate with no concern about the impact to the original - well thats my opinion anyway.
    i think it's great to clone.
    i think it's great to restore to original.
    i think it's great to customize.
    whatya got goin' on there Joe?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Its fine and I enjoy the different iteratons of car. To each his (or her) own as they say.

Just don't represent it as something its not...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Now, let's advance to the next step...how about when "clone" turns to "counterfeit"?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Being afraid to take any car (short of the 700 mile silver car) and make it into whatever you want because the next owner may not like it is the equivalent of having to sit on those diamond pattern clear plastic covers on your parents couch because "we have to keep it nice for the next people".

People chopped the tops off Ferrari Daytonas because the factory didn't make enough, and even though they are replicas, they are worth more than the coupes they came from. People stick hemi's in 318 Challengers because they didn't build enough of those either, and those clones are worth more than the cars they came from. In all these cases it's because time and hindsight have shown that those models, including RS's were the pinnacle of their period. If you were still sticking baseball cards in your bicycle spokes when they were building the real ones but have come to realize what they were and want one now, you can build yourself one and - the beauty is, build a better one than the factory made.

The funny thing is, the real versions, the most expensive and the most rare, are the ones most likely to have been modified or used up and thrown away. Try finding an old Ferrari race car that hasn't had to be put back from being wrecked. Try finding a Hemi Roadrunner that hasn't had the original motor blown up doing what it did best. A Porsche ain't nothing different. Love it, but use it. Make it whatever you want. We're supposed to be enthusiasts, not curators.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

I agree with Paul, as the cars become expensive counterfeit cars become an issue. It is up to the buyer to tell the difference and on an expensive transaction many buyers will hire out to get a second opinion from a qualified expert to verify authenticity of not only the vehicle but the details of the car as well. Myself, Rick Cabell, and Rob Gross have all looked at cars not only in the US but in Europe as well. With the price of alot of these cars one would be foolish not to have it checked out, or at the very least consult an expert about the details. Fakes are a problem at the high level, I have heard about two RS cars with the same number, and have been offered the VIN tags out of several other RS cars. I think this is a rare thing however, but what is more common is crummy cars getting put back together with poor workmanship because the cars are getting expensive. As far a replica and clone cars go, as long as it has enough horsepower thats fine.

Jeff Smith
    Schmidt Foreign

Some 911's come to the current owner having already been modified over the many years of it's existence. Some are time capsules. Still others are found restorable to original appearances and specs. It's my belief that all the above are great stuff and to each his own.

I think if you had a nice original car and wanted to modify it to your tastes, go for it but keep all the original stuff in case either you want to return it to original someday you can or if the buyer of your car wanted a more original vehicle he could.

High priced counterfits are a problem, but only to a limited few with the resoursces to pay the high cost...BUT...most of those folks aren't so naive as to assume it's original and they do a full investigation before purchasing anyways. I'm sure there's a few counterfits out there that could fool some, but these are only a few cases in the grand scheme of things.

Bottom line...do what makes ya crank spin cause life is short and these cars will be around long after we're gone in which case it's not really our problem now is it.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Green T sumed it up really well, but to add my two cents, My total original stock car was only trailerd to car shows where I would stand around and brag about how rare and original it was and get to listen to others of like mind do the same, which is fun in a ego stroking way for awhile but I sold it for a car that has been tweaked buy the original owner, and the second and the 3rd and now me. not alot, but to my taste. I find it kind of liberating not to have to tie my self to what some German was thinking 38 years ago and what some future buyer might be thinking. Now I feel it really is my car. I drive it alot more. Generally in all I spend more time with it injoying it. Which is the name of the game for me. Do not get me wrong, I still like and injoy car shows and if I had the money I would buy a trailer queen again but I would not sell my "driver" to do it.

to clone or not to cloneT

I have no problem with replicars,clones or what ever;my only beef is with owners of a 911T,E,S now calling the car 911r,911rs or rsr.the car is a 911t built up to rs spec's.you can't make a T,E,OR S INTO a R.RS. or RSR.Then again all clones are not equal.Putting a duck tail on an 911T DOESN'T MAKE IT AN rs or rs spec's...........just call it what it is! A 911T with a duck tale..............simple isn't it

Can anybody suggest a shop? I want to turn my S into an RS clone...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)