Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I do my homework!

Thumbs up Why I do my homework!

Just got home from working in Sicily today and a package was waiting for me to open. Hmmmm, Wonder what it could be...Different paint line.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

No part numbers...
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Made June of 70...
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

MY, MY, that's wide for a deep six! Different profile too Anybody got one exactly like it they want to sell me?
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

One of those rare occassions where the stars were aligned for the rare Ebay auction. I put in my last bid before I got on the plane to go to Sicily. Seller had no clue and no other real experience with Porsche parts. Must have been an estate buyer. Oddball listing out of the mainstream search guidelines. I asked the right seemingly innoculous questions. Seems no one else picked up on what it was except the guy that emailed the seller after the auction was over with the "I was going to bid $50 more but didn't get the bid in in time" story. Can't beat a 7R at a Deep Six price.

So seriously. Anyone have one for sale? I'd like to match it to the 6/70 date code (Thats a cool bonus given my cars 1/70 birthday). Would prefer needing refinished cause I'm going to send a set of wheels to Harvey W. I was going to have a pair widened but, now can justify having a real pair.

Thanks to ALL the "teachers" out there who continue to school this humble grasshopper.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Leaving for Catania on Thursday for a week of R & R around Ena. Anything I can pick up for you? Congrats on a nice find.

Mark
    Mark Lindman
    1969 911S
    1967 911 T Hot Rod
    (If Randy ever sells it to me)
    1956 HRG Twin Cam
    1951 212 Drogo Spyder
    Early 911S Member #496

Michael,
    What were the right questions that you asked?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL
    Leaving for Catania on Thursday for a week of R & R around Ena. Anything I can pick up for you? Congrats on a nice find.

Mark
    Hey, that's where I was. Stayed at the Il Principe Hotel right off the main Piazza. I highly recommend it. I love Catania. Second time there for me. I was there last March as well. The beaches there are NICE as well.. Driving is UMMM... interesting!

You can pick me up a couple of Canolis. MMMMMMM Have fun!
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by LKreg
    Michael,
    What were the right questions that you asked?
    Thanks.
    Well, by the original pics in the auction I knew the profile of the rim interior looked correct for a R wheel. It was definitely a deep 15in, had the right paint for a R, had the stiffening ridges, valve "heart". I asked for the part number, tire size and asked for a measurement from the lug hole to the interior lip. They replied "no part number, gave me the 6/70 date code that they found and the measurement which sealed the deal. I figured the word was going to be out because they also mentioned that there was a "R" stamp on the front hub rim of the wheel. Then they posted on the auction the several questions they had answered and mistakenly listed the rim width as 8 in. Everyone else had to have thought it was a deep six.

Does anyone else have R wheels that have a R stamp like this?
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Nice score! I bet you were tearing into that package like a kid on Christmas morning!

My 7R's (date stamped 1967) do not have the 'R' stamp on the front.
    [Early 911 Registry #772]