Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak on 69S

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Oil leak on 69S

I have a oil leak that appears to be dripping from the exhaust valve cover and onto the exhaust pipe causing a lot of smoke. I have replaced the cover with a turbo type cover but it still leaks. Could it be leaking from the head and then onto the valve cover? Thanks in advance.

don

Of course I do not know, but another common source of leaks there is those 12 rocker shafts that have a metal to metal seal, the factory recomends retorkqueing these during the valve adjust. maybe a retorque? and you do not have to buy a part

Oil Leak

Suggestions from my experience: 1) check your breather hose and any other lines (MFI) on the top of the engine including the temp sensor and thermostat (on engine), 2) look around the oil return tubes which may have a bad seal. Last, look at the seal from the cam cover to the head and see if that is dripping. A wash helps clear the way since all oil runs to the bottom and fools you as to source.

thanks....

anyone know how to install o-rings on rocker arms? also, would heavier oil hep?

don

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Don,

More likely to need seals on the rocker shafts. These were originally a racing part (RSR) and were not listed as a stock item. Now they can be purchased without knocking down the racing department's doors. Age being what it is, we have found in the last couple of years that almost every engine is leaking from the rocker shafts. We fit a set of RSR rocker shaft seals in every rebuild now (and people bitch that we are expensive!)...they are readily available but I'm not sure where to point you in the States as I can buy them from our Porsche dealer here as well as a couple of the independent suppliers. From Porsche you can buy them as singles; part no: 911 099 103 52. Obviously you need to remove the rocker shafts to fit them though ; one on each groove at each end of the shaft (24 required).

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Pelican Parts in the US has these, Wayne Dempsey (owner of PP) mentions and recommends these in his rebuild book.

don't forget the rubber sleeve that connects the filler pipe to the reservoir. i recently replaced the rubber sections of my pickup and return lines. turns out most of the problem was the above mentioned sleeve. [read; most of the problem *in that area*] sure wish i would have known about that top side gasket when i had the engine out for a tranny swap last year. i was convinced that it was oil return tubes until i got under there ready to change them out.
    live and learn ?
    cheers
    jerry
    p.s. one of the best descriptions i've ever heard describing the attention to detail of a 1/43 scale model;
    SO ACCURATE YOU'LL BE CHECKING UNDER IT FOR OIL LEAKS!

The leak seems to be coming from the area of the oil cooler on the front of the engine. Is there a common source of oil leaks in this area?

don

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    The leak seems to be coming from the area of the oil cooler on the front of the engine. Is there a common source of oil leaks in this area?

don
    these is some shots i took when i was replacing the rubber sections of the pickup and return lines. the one on top has already been replaced with a good leak-free original. *most* of the bottom hose is out having the rubber section replaced. the 90 degree fitting is steel while the cooler is aliminum and electrolosis has prevented me from removing this fitting while the engine is in the car. the other pix show the fitting, coupling collar and hose disassembled. if you chose to go this route i can walk you through it. Stoddard has the bare hose.
    HTH
    cheers
    jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images