Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techron Concentrate???

Techron Concentrate???

I've read where it may good to add a bottle of this stuff to the fuel every 3K miles, especially if the car sits for weeks at a time. Reportedly helps keep valves free of carbon, and also helps keep fuel injectors clean.

Comments, opnions?

thanks
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Why not just get it for free by filling up at any Chevron station?

Ah, grasshopper...let me help you understand the intricacies of Techron...

When you buy Chevron gasoline at the pump, you are getting about 400 ppm of Techron in the fuel. This level is great for general cleanliness and engine performance. However, for a real "clean sweep", do what is said above and run a bottle through the tank about every 3,000 miles or so. Then, you're getting about 3,000 ppm of the active ingredient. Don't overdue it because if you use more than about two bottles per oil change, you can actually thin your engine oil which is not desirable.

What you're keeping clean with Techron is your injection system (especially, your injectors...key for an MFI system) and the combustion chambers. Good stuff all around.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I was thinking about adding a bottle in the tank of my '87 930 coupe. It has only 32K miles, and sits covered for weeks at a time in the garage. I thought I had it sold, but the prospective buyer wanted a leakdown test done as part of the PPI. Lo and behold, two cylinders came back pretty high so the buyer walked. My mechanic suggested trying the Techron Concentrate along with a couple hundred miles of "spirited driving" to blow the carbon out of the valves. After that's accomplished, he suggests another leakdown test and all but guarantees better readings.

Are there any negatives to be concerned about with using a bottle of this stuff, provided I don't get carried away with more than 1 bottle every 3K miles?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

No...pour and enjoy...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Chevron and Shell are two of the gasoline companies out there that are recommended by an outfit for which I cannot remember the name but have the web address at another site.
    Their gasolines were considered higher grade or something of the sort. When I find the link I'll post it.
    A few years ago I heard about a guy in our area had a Corvette that wasn't running quite right after a few thousand miles. Turned out that his injectors were not atomizing properly. He was advised to switch to Shell gas or buy Techron. I believe he did the Techron thing and like magic it restored his power and the car ran happily ever after. I'm a big fan of Shell products in general.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner is unbeatable in cleaning the entire fuel system and restoring lost power and performance caused by deposit build-up. Cleans deposits from fuel injectors, carburetors, ports, valves and combustion chambers. Works in one tankful while you drive to reduce deposit related engine knock, ping, run-on, and cold start problems. Recommended for use every 3,000 miles. 20 oz. bottle.
    According to Motor Trend Magazine: If the loss of power and performance is due to combustion chamber deposits buildup..."the current state of the art treatment is an additive called polyether amine (PEA). Developed by Chevron and originally introduced in 1980, today it carries the company trade name
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Mfi ???

Will this stuff help to keep the MFI in my '72T functioning properly?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

According to my mechanic, the MFI system, with it's higher operating pressure, is good at self cleaning. This isn't intended as a slam to injector cleaning additives. One additive I do use this time of year is Sta-bil...The gas in my tank now (it's Oregon, it's October, it's raining.) may well be the gas I start with next May. So, beginning mid September I add Sta-bil before buying gas. How do I know I'm adding the proper amount? Over 3 decades of reading the same gas gauge...when I fill up I can usually predict the gallons she'll take within 1/2 gallon or so.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I have been advised by several local experts to do the Techron thing (plus Stabil in the winter). They told me that, for my CIS Car, deposits in the fuel system will result in an early death and a very disappointing search for either NOS or non-degraded used parts to repair the damage. I can't speak for the MIF/Carburated cars but I figure it can't hurt and anything that prolongs life by even a bit is probably worth the effort to keep things runing well in the interim.

I have been using it for my P-car plus my regular rides and while I lack any true data, I think the cars appear to run better when I use it regularly.

I have also noticed that, here in Orygun, home to the worst gas in the US, sticking with Chevron/Shell has been reported to be a good thing. The stations selling "lesser brands, all have had sporatic reports of runs of bad gas damaging a number of cars. I attribute that to the fact that a branded station here can keep the brand as long as at least 33% of the fuel sold is from the "offical" branded supplier. Any guesses how many use this rule to get a better profit? I suspect Shell and Chevron have a different take on the requirements.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300