Thread: Airport Gears

Airport Gears

For those of you with airport gears, can you share what your rpm's are in 5th gear. Maybe at 60mph, 70mph and 80mph?

A lot. Ask me how I know. My car is with Rennman now. Perhaps he can tell you what it is at 60mph but I know it runs out at around 115-120 due to tire aspect ratio and because it's bumping redline! Lotsa fun gettting there, though!

Here's Tom Conway's (Carquip) chart for Airport Ratios:

Airport Gear Ratios

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

what happened?

you let the caddy painted '67 go? i thought it was your pride and joy.

anyway, thanks for your information on the gears.

I have not driven the 67S recently (detailing in progress right now) but remember it being 800-1000 higher in revs at highway speeds. My silver 68 rally is at 4,000 at 70 mph with a lower ring and pinion from the factory. That car will be at the track this weekend so I can give you more information Monday if you want it.

Don

Just took a look at your site Don and saw the Jennings car for the first time. What a magnificent car! It looks to be as new - congratulations!

rick
    reg#699

Quote Originally Posted by execfin
    you let the caddy painted '67 go? i thought it was your pride and joy.

anyway, thanks for your information on the gears.
    Your are certainly welcome but thank Tom Conway for the website.

I have liked all my cars and bikes but that being said, I never get too attached because they are just "things". You "use things and love people". It shouldn't be the other way around. None of this stuff is forever and making someone else happy is very cool, too. The experience was worth owning it even for a short period of time. I've had some rare motorcycles that were the same story. I enjoyed them and moved on to the next chapter.

The "S" has as good a home now as anyone could hope for their ex-cars. Don is as anal-retentive as me and that's a compliment. He's been detailing the car and what you see now is the result of a lot of TLC on his part.
    The car is an original 1967 Porsche 911-S with 33k miles (paint and interior). It's a time-capsule car with a great story and "original" patina that cannot be duplicated.

What's next? That's a secret for now but I AM looking.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I took this picture early morning a couple of days ago. Sorry about the glare, but it is the clearest of the three I took. These are short and close gears. Perfect if your not on the interstate alot. Most of my on-road driving is below 75 mph anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net