Thread: Repaint lens edge trim?

Repaint lens edge trim?

I couldn't find this in the archives.

Are there any effective methods of refurbishing the black trim on the Euro lenses? The black is chipping off in several spots.

I've heard (not confirmed) black spray paint does it. Does all the old paint have to be removed first? If so, what's the best method?

Thanks,
    Sherwood

Sherwood, I'd be careful here...some spray paints can soften & wilt plastics. I'd check with a hobby shop, being sure the paint used was designed for use on plastics. I've never done this retouch, but maybe some paint on the INSIDE of the lens, the trim groove so to speak, would work? Just a thought..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Sherwood...
    As was mentioned above...I have used the plastic model paint from a hobby store andit worked fine for the black....the trick is getting a good silver for the earlier ones...only some sucess on that one.

John

Try Testor's acrylic flat black, which you can find at a hobby store. I'd bet that they have something for chrome, too.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 09:02 AM
  2. How do you restore the silver taillight lens trim?
    By X-Faktory in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
  3. FS-NOS BOSCH marked RF black edge front lens
    By route66kix in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM
  4. Turn lens trim coating
    By 911s55 in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 11:56 AM