Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mc Affee wheels FS

Mc Affee wheels FS

all;
    these are 5 1/2 X 15" pressure cast ALUminum. pix here show how they look on the car (thanks Jens!) i'll post pix of the actual wheels soon.
    asking $600 for a set of 5 delivered to the lower 48 or trade for a pair of deep 6 Fuchs. offers considered. thanks for listening.
    cheers
    jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember that Irish green car. Belong's to a nice guy who is a column writer for the Orange county newspaper. ( I think that's the paper). Met him at a R gruppe meet a couple years ago. Coool story on the car. One owner, unmolested. I have a set of those wheels. They are growing on me. I have a old Pano, ( 11/70) that shows these wheels when new. $165 for a set of 4.

I've always liked those wheels. Classic look of the steelies but in alloy. They'd be great on a 356 Outlaw or an old Beetle.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell
    I remember that Irish green car. Belong's to a nice guy who is a column writer for the Orange county newspaper. ( I think that's the paper). Met him at a R gruppe meet a couple years ago. Coool story on the car. One owner, unmolested. I have a set of those wheels. They are growing on me. I have a old Pano, ( 11/70) that shows these wheels when new. $165 for a set of 4.
    i'll take TWO sets! wondering if that offer was 'direct' or through someone like Willem Hahn (sp.) anybody know the story on these ? supposedly designed by Jack Mac Affee ?
    best
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Bobboloo
    I've always liked those wheels. Classic look of the steelies but in alloy. They'd be great on a 356 Outlaw or an old Beetle.
    ...and i had originally planned to use them on a '59 356 coupe until i came to my senses i think the better car to 'outlaw' is a 912. if it makes any difference, i have seen 2 versions of this wheel. one is cast such that it could be drilled for either a 4 or 5-lug application. not sure if those are later or repops or what. mine are cast and drilled for a 5-lug application and were removed from a 914-6.
    cheers
    jerry

Here's how they look on a 356....

..My car had these when I bought it and they have been on the car since the -60's....probably bought from "Rick's" ad for $165.00/set...They are indeed "made in Los Angeles" and has a stamp/engraving inside saying so...I've been told that they were manufactured and marketed by Jack M and sold as an "acessory" avaliable through some of the P-car dealers at the time..(at least out here in whacky California) as well as other places,I guess....
    I have seen a "copy" which is very similar but differs in a couple of places...
    1)the MacAffee's has a beefy reinforcement ridge behind each "spoke"..the copy is just plain and has no reinforcement...
    2) The MacAffee's also has a raised hub for the center cup(yellow car) or in the green car's and my 356, for the fake "spinners"....
    3) the copies were often used on dune-buggies and the like...
    It's not everybody's cup-of-tea but I like'em...I got a lot of flack at the first P-car(356) meet I went to...Jeeez..wrong wheels...what have I done?.../Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Wow , those look great on the 356!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

356 Registry members were recently treated to a pic of Mike Robbins speedster that just turned 600,000 miles. (SIX hundred thousand... he's the original owner) my set is sold, pending receipt of funds, to a 356-er.
    how times change ?
    cheers
    jerry

Lars, They look great on your car!!! I think period correct obscure parts are a bonus when done with taste not something to thumb your nose up at. They rock with the silver paint. Very industrial strength look.

How do you like them on my MBZ wagon?
    Bobby

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Oops, Here's the photo.
    Bobby