Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prefered Tires for Early 911s

Prefered Tires for Early 911s

I would appreciate some input on tires. What brand and style within the brand do members prefer for their early 911s? Assuming general usage, (not snow, or track) what would you put on your 6Jx15 Fuchs? Is price a good indicator of quality? Any one in particular to avoid?

195/65 x 15's are made by a few manufacturers. Kumho, Yokohama, Pirelli, Dunlop and Michelin. These approximate the correct size of the now defunct (but available at a $$$price$$$) 185/70 x 15.

Tire Rack is a good place to look around.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

if you want to go the original route the Michellin and Pirelli's are still available in the 185/70's but you are probably talking $250 to $400 bucks a tire

after some research I found a dutch tire mfg. that still makes a 185/70 15 in a classic tread pattern that is close to the original equipment Michellin the early 911's had.

The brand is Vredestein, model is Sprint Classic. They price out about $90 a tire. I have only put a few miles on them but they do look the part and seem to be very popular with the concours crowd.

check out this web site. however they are available from a number of sources so check around for pricing.

http://www.tirefactory.net/sprintclassic.htm

word of caution, make the source check the date code and insist on a tire with recent mfg. date within last yr or so. tires do have a shelf life
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Wink

I run 195's on my 67 911 with deep 6's. They are fine.
    GeorgeK thought they looked kinda skinny though. I wonder what he would think if he saw some 165's on the original 4.5 inch rims!!!

The brand is Vredestein, model is Sprint Classic
    The 185/70 Sprint Classic is only H rated (130 mph). 911s require V rated tyres such as the V expensive Michelin XWX
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

I have the XWX's. They look great, fill up the wheel well nicely, and are not inexspensive. I would follow Tom's advice here. It all depends on what you are using the car for. I have an extra set of wheels with Kuhmos that I use on the street, but are 16's and lower profile. The car looks stupid IMO with the 16's but sure does stick. The XWX's look the part but definately lack the grip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

XWX's were "da bomb" way back in the day. Shorty is wearing some Michelin MXV4 195/65's that Shawn installed. They work very nicely on 6's and the car is a hoot to toss around.
    Harvey Weidman did some 4.5's with XAS's installed which look very cool, and I keep these in the closet for showing the car, which of course, I never do. Oh, well. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Michelin XWX

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I run Michelin 185/70x15's on 7" Fuchs. It's a great all around setup especially for a lowered car with stiff suspension. The tire actually acts like a spring to soften the ride somewhat and you will get the extra clearance that a lowered car needs. The speedometer will also be close and the gearing for highway use is excellent. If I want grip, I put on Kumho V700's in the 225/45x15's but the gearing is off for highway use and the car is so low that you really must be careful. For auto-x, the weapon of choice is the Kumho V710.
    Bobby Smith
    member #299

"911s require V rated tyres such as the V expensive Michelin XWX"

Only when you travel between 131MPH and 149MPH ....

my 911 has a speed govenor above the HR rating of the Vredestein tire, its called my wife
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser