Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear bumper over-riders

Looks nice!

Can you tell me if there is a rubber gasket between the bar and the overrider? or is it metal to metal.

Thanks,
    eric

there is a rubber gasket
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

I'd love to see that 68 Christo pic cause now I'm totally confused. I thought the early (pre-72) single crash bar mounted between the bumperettes. Then 72-73 was mounted on the upper face like on Jame's car. Or, maybe someone can post a scan from the accessories catalogs? I thought SWBSams was added after the fact. I know when he bought it cause he sniped it out from under me
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Dr. Johnson book states:

A page in the parts book dated 6/67 lists an optional part which is described as "Bumper horns rear for ram protection" This ram protection took the form of a single tubular chrome bar that was mounted between the bumper guards at the top edge.

Don't see anything describing different bumper horns for different years. Does mention single bar is from Porsche and dual bars were AMCO dealer part.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

My 72 T has them, and they look like sweet E,s. so they would not be factory installed.

boxster03 is correct single bar just like James's picture is factory,the double bars is amco after market. I have a 1972S and it has the factory single bar(ram protection) on it just like the one in James's picture and there is a rubber gasket(Eric). My cardex list it under optional equipment as REAR BUMPER PADS. You almost never see the single bar for sale,but you do see the double bar for sale quite often. This is also true for cars, the aftermarket amco is common on cars and the factory single is RARE. There is also an aftermarket single bar that goes on the front bumperettes,this is mounted in between the bumperettes like the double bar in the rear bumperettes,the factory rear single bar mounts on the outward face of the rear bumperettes above the black rubber inserts(just like James has it in his picture).

all very interesting

So the bumperettes & crash bar fitted to my car are period correct for my '67 ( Orig registered July '67 ) ?

BTW, I have the standard all chrome ( no rubber strip) bumperettes on the front with no crash bar.
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

For some reason my brain is still telling me there are two different factory single bar versions. SWB and LWB as it were. I know there has to be some accessories catalogs (early and later) sitting on shelves with pictures. I'd have bought the last 70 version I saw if it hadn't been more than $300. I need to have my cranium files overwritten. Jeesh, my 12 yr old has a scanner!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586