Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Torq-Thrust Lug Nuts

American Torq-Thrust Lug Nuts

I've found a solution to the unavailability of shank-type lug nuts for the old Americans. Not the best solution, but a solution. Weld Racing makes a 14mm x 1.5 shank-type nut with the correct threads and washers that fit perfectly (Weld Nr. 601-1418). The problem is the shank diameter is just a hair too large. So, I'll have to ream the holes out on the wheels. The shank length is also about 1/2 inch too long, so those will need to be cut down. The end result will be brand new shiny chrome lug nuts though!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

you have a week Curt!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Thanks for the reminder ....

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I've found a solution to the unavailability of shank-type lug nuts for the old Americans. So, I'll have to ream the holes out on the wheels. The shank length is also about 1/2 inch too long, so those will need to be cut down.
    That's about what I had to do too. Though I choose to turn down the OD on the lug nut shoulder/shank to fit the rim. Very easy on the lathe while you have it chucked up to remove the extra length. I'd rather modify a cheap lug nut than the rare wheel.

My application had long studs (was used in racing where exposed stud length was required) so I just cut the cap off the nut as well.

That's exactly what I've decided to do. Couldn't bring myself to drill out the wheels and risk a mistake. Thanks.

I think I've managed to create the world's most expensive lugnuts .... The Weld lugnuts themselves are around $3.50 each. Unfortunately, that price doesn't include the lathe needed to make them fit. I'm thinking I've now got around $30 a piece into these things.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The ones you show :
    1.310'' long x .687'' dia. Shank Lug Nuts: Fits Pro*Star (96 series), Draglite (90 series), Rodlite (93 series) Wheels
    927-601-1405 14mm x 1.5 RH Duplex Acorn, 4/pkg

The PN you list is these:
    0.500 Shank Length 0.680 Shank Diameter Lug Nuts: Fits Aluma Star 2.0, Magnum Drag 2.0
    927-601-1418 14MM X 1.5 RH Closed End Lug Nut 4/pkg

Would the ones I show work with no mods.?
    Is the Jegs cat. wrong ?
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

I ordered a set of those 601-1405's in hopes they would fit. They don't. The actual shank length is less than 1/4 inch and the shank would still need to be reduced down. The 1.310" is actually the overall length.

I decided to use PN 601-1918. These are longer yet and have a 1.75 inch shank length. With these, I can put the end of the shank in the lathe chuck - rather than the hex head - so I don't have to worry about marring the chrome finish. Also, when chucking the hex head it took some playing around to get the nut to spin true. Putting the shank end in the chuck eliminates that.

Edit: 601-1918 will NOT work. I learned the hard way. The shank is not threaded all the way down to the hex head. So when the shank is cut down to 1/2 inch or so, there's less than 1/4 inch of threads left! 601-1418 are the ones to use.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I think I've managed to create the world's most expensive lugnuts .... The Weld lugnuts themselves are around $3.50 each. Unfortunately, that price doesn't include the lathe needed to make them fit. I'm thinking I've now got around $30 a piece into these things.
    Nice work, plus you advance one of my basic project rules: "Only undertake those projects which require you to obtain a tool you do not currently own"
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

I like that rule Harry! I'm now looking for a small project requiring a mill ......