Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Original 73' RS Steering Wheel

WTB Original 73' RS Steering Wheel

Looking for a RS 380mm wheel ..... anyone ?$

Real ones are not gonna be cheap. Over $700 last time one was on Ebay if I remember correctly.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Does it have to be a real documented, date coded RS wheel? A 914-6 wheel is the same 380mm and same hub. I bought one for $100 by posting a wanted ad on the Pelican 914 BBS and sent it to Autobahn in San Diego for a recover in two layers of leather. Nice look and feel. I assume any claimed RS wheel on ebay is a 914-6 wheel (or even just a 914 wheel if you don't ask the part number) Daron
    Attached Images Attached Images

914-6 wheel

Daron ......thanx thats good advice ! , i knew that people modified 914 wheels for the RS application but i didn't know the 914-6 wheel had the same hub !? ...... The wheel in the pic looks great , i will follow your lead . Autobaun is also a good tip ....... Thanx again for your time .
    Aloha T

Check out this extensive thread on 380 mm wheels. The bottom line is that you want to look for the 914-6 wheel with a rubber core. The only way to know if a particular wheel is from a '73 RS is to see it come directly from on the original cars. When building those cars the factory workers just pulled a leather wrapped, rubber core 380 mm wheel off the shelf and put in on.

Hey Daron I just sent off a 914-6 wheel to Tony for the double wrap job. I hope it comes back as nice as yours. If it doesn't then it goes back until it does.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...steering+wheel
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

What does Tony charge for teh double wrap? I have a 914 wheel I want to put on my car...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Autobahn's number is 619-230-1065. Best to just call him and get your answer. Be clear on what you want...two layers of leather if your goal is like the one I got back. He has also done them with a then layer of foam under the leather and that is not the correct look. Daron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the leather a good match for the original?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

380mm steering wheel

Here's one on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Good luck,

Cees

Cees,

That is a leather wrapped 914-4 wheel, so the description of 'RS wheel' is incorrect. Not quite the same as the 914-6 wheel. To make this work in a 911, holes must be drilled, countersunk and tapped for the turnsignal cancel ring. The leather does look nice though.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299