Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The VW finally runs a 10 sec quarter mile!

The car really does not wheelie too much. six to eight inches usually.
    9s are a big #! The faster you go, the harder (and more expensive) it is to improve your times. I have ridden on the street in a 9 second VW and it is a terrifying ride!
    The first thing I need this winter is brakes as the stock drums just dont cut it anymore.
    That pass had a pretty weak sixty foot time and a good tenth of a second can be found there. It was also only at 20 lbs of boost and its good for 25+ which equates to possibly another 40 horsepower or so. I really feel that 10.50's at 130+ are easily doable with the car, but Im not sure that I want to be going that fast.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Thanks for all the comments and support!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

What are the specs on the bug's motor? I love air-cooled VWs...if I could just get mine running.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Gburner
    Congrats Dave a mechanical and gutsy accomplishment.

When I drag raced VWs imho the experience at over 100mph made me feel more like a passenger. Click into 4th and basically hang on. The car wanted very little or no steering input, don't lift and no brakes. All that is fine though a sudden gusting cross wind felt more as if you just got T-boned by a train.

Compared to racing my 911 in an hour long Enduro while sharing the track with faster and slower cars inches from my fender. I'd say that the last 4 seconds from 80mph to 100mph+ racing/dancing with my VW while maintaining the delicate balance with minimal control took more guts. You are going near 20mph faster than I ever did. In the interest of added stability would a small wing (like a duck) reduce drag and lift on the rear?

Just get all the safety gear, maybe a HANs or an R3 too.
    In car fire system someday?
    Then again in the day I raced my VW in just long pants a T-shirt and a helmet.

Wild ride for sure!

Mike,
    The 8" slicks made a world of difference. The car felt more comfy at 127 than it ever did on the 6" M&H's at 107-108. I was really shocked. I did invest in a new Simpson helmet, neck brace and fire jacket. This winter I will be upgrading the brakes and looking at a better way to carry a fire extinguisher.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Gburner
    Cool and yes my old 6 inch slicks with just 12lbs of air on a 2000lb car at 230hp had its limitations..

I had the 8" tires aired up to 18lbs on that pass and Im sure that is a big part of it. I have never had to run less than 16 lbs except for the time I raced at C-Bad. Traction is one area where the midwest tracks shine over the hot and greasy California tracks.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439