Thread: how do I remove paint from paint code plate?

how do I remove paint from paint code plate?

Need to safely remove a couple of coats of paint from the paint code plate. What can I use that won't also remove the black on the plate? Apparently, the PO thought the paint code plate was for painting on...
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Yikes. If you have the balls, use spray can aircraft stripper. I have found it usually likes to soften the topmost layer of paint first. You might get lucky and be able to peel the top layer off, especially if the plate wasn't prepped for paint. Road film, etc. can act as a nice barrier to paint adhesion. On the other hand, you could damage the plate, too.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Hi Bill,

International Merchantile sells door aluminum plates with your numbers stamped on the new plate for you.

Good luck, Tom

Bill,
    I ran across this problem on my '67S. I carefully masked around the plate...and made sure the masking tape was stuck as tightly as possible to the chassis (around the plate). I rubbed it several times with my hands at the edges of the plate. Then I carefully applied JASCO stripper. It pulled the paint off the plate without distrubing the black enamal underneath. I assumed that the black enamal was baked on and probably a little stronger than the paint sprayed over it. Maybe I got lucky because it worked fine. My paint number plate looks totally stock now and I didn't disturb the paint on the chassis around where it is attached. Good luck.

Thank you, Richard, for the tip. I will try it.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437