Thread: The Return of the Legend....

The Return of the Legend....

This past weekend, Roger G. Mike S., and myself went to Laguna Seca for the ALMS races. Porsches debut of the NEW LMP 2 race car.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

a few more

more photos
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255

different ones

other makes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255

Gburner
    Nice trip Ray!
    Thanks for the photos.
    So was the new Porsche sand bagging a bit?

the REAL Porsches

here are some of the 911's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255

Gburner
    Ray what did the Porsche camp think about the Speed Gt race where the Cadillac punted the Porsche?

Something like this...........
    Wolf (Porsche) took the lead from the standing start on lap 1 and pulled out a lead until the crash in turn 2 on lap 2 which was a full course yellow. On the first restart Lou Galati (?) jumped the start and passed everyone on the straight from 4th (?) and stayed in front for a couple of green laps until another accident. The marshals decided that he had jumped the start by then and he was supposed to take a stop & go penalty, but he stayed out through the second restart and held up Wolf and allowed the Cadillac to take the lead until the next accident and on the third restart Wolf was taken out by I think the second Cadillac and allowed the other Cadillac to drive on to victory.

While the race was on the SPEED track announcer had said that if Wolf finished in second Porsche would win the Manufacturer's championship and that they needed a car to get ahead of the Porsche. They did by shunting him in turn 2 and finished him for the day.

Thanks for the pics Ray. Did it sound like all the rest of the LMP2 cars?

Mike, isnt that the third time that the Caddys have knocked a Porsche off in ALMS competition this year?
    Dave
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Thumbs up Awesome !!!!

Great coverage & pic's Ray...Thank you for sharing.....sounds the 'da boyz' had a FUN time !!!

Cheers!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    Thanks for the pics Ray. Did it sound like all the rest of the LMP2 cars?

Mike, isnt that the third time that the Caddys have knocked a Porsche off in ALMS competition this year?
    Dave
    True Dave,,,I havent seen every race but from what I have read this is a trend.
    Kevin Buckler has mentioned that the Caddy program has a budget many times greater than any team in the series, win at all cost seems to be their motto.

"It's pretty frustrating to watch how the Porsches got worked in that series. Earlier in the year Robin Liddel was literally pushed off the track by Max Papis in the last lap while leading the race.
    It's an absurd notion that ANY Cadillac could even stay close to ANY Porsche on ANY racetrack but that is the impression that this SCCA series provides".

Thanks for the RS Spyder pics. I wish we'd gotten to see them at Road Atlanta. Next year I guess.

Mike and Dave, I love the World Challenge series in both Touring and GT forms. And I'm glad Cadillac is there, more marques the better. But that was a seriously low way to win a championship. Pretty straight forward drive-thru offing for position. I hope Wolf and the team let loose on someone after the race in the SCCA truck. The thing is, based on the rough driving seen in the European Porsche Cup races, where some of these drivers have run before, the drivers must be holding back on using the polypropelene horn. That series has some seriously rough/dirty driving.

As for Cadillac's budget, it has to be huge. Each race they brought in an extra driver from the ALMS Corvette team to drive a third car that would not carry a weight penalty just. The cars have a serious amount of development and modification in comparison to the street CTS-V, much more than between a street GT3 and the race cars. Visually at least. Audi seemed to have a similar budget for the Champion S4 and RS6 when they were running.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3