Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4.5 inch fuchs

4.5 inch fuchs

Need some help from you guys. I need a set of 4.5 inch fuchs for my 67' S. I have found a set for sale but am a bit hesitant. How can I tell if the wheels are authentic? I've read that the early 4.5 inch fuchs had their part #'s stamped on them. I've been told that this stamping can wear off from cleaning or refinishing. I don't care that much about the stamp. I just want to make sure that I get legitimate 15x4.5 inch fuchs. How can I make sure I get what I'm paying for? Is there an easy way to identify legit fuchs w/o the stamps. Thanks.

I pulled the spare out of my '67 and checked it out. My wheels have been refiinished but the part number is still very clear. The part number by the way is cast on mine not stamped. Until recently the 4.5s were not considered very desireable, so I can't imagine anybody went to the trouble and expense of making a knock off, I could be wrong on this though. - Tom
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv
    I pulled the spare out of my '67 and checked it out. My wheels have been refiinished but the part number is still very clear. The part number by the way is cast on mine not stamped. Until recently the 4.5s were not considered very desireable, so I can't imagine anybody went to the trouble and expense of making a knock off, I could be wrong on this though. - Tom
    In the VW world, the 4.5" with a pair of 6" go for about $3,000! Many reasons to make a knock off. Did you buy Howard's 67S, I also have a 67S in slate grey.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

4.5 Fuchs replicas are made, but I don't think they are 100% accurate. The VW boys are now paying £500 per rim here in the UK for real ones (that's $875)

I have a set of 5 refurbed and unfitted 4.5 genuine Fuchs here in England. Yours $3,500
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Some would call this heresy...

4.5" fuchs widened to 6" by Harvey so that I can get wider rubber on the road but still look OE.

Prices on these wheels is going up as fast as the cars are!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe all the Fuchs wheels should also be stamped on the inside with a very small Fox head, my deep sixes are. This is a photo of my original spare 14X5.5 E wheel. The stampings are pretty deep. I would avoid wheels w/o some stamping showing unless you really know from whence they came.

Fuchs is the German word for Fox...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Eade Hopkinson
    In the VW world, the 4.5" with a pair of 6" go for about $3,000!
    No they don't. The VW guys aren't stupid. To some VW guys the ideal setup is a pair of 4.5s and a pair of deep 6s. I've seen this setup go for as much as$1800. A pair of 4.5s is worth $1200-$1500 to the VW guys.

Looking for the part number isn't always the only way to discern a real wheel. The very earliest of the 4.5s had no marks.

Currently there are 2 different repro 4.5s. This first one comes from Japan:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D6600

It is extremely accurate looking from the outside. Obvious differences are the hole for the centercap (takes the late ring type cap), and the hole for the valve stem (modern small dia ones). They also have safety bead humps.

This second one is made in Europe. It is a copy of an American Eagle copy, but in 4.5" wide instead of 6". Thus it is a late flat 4.5" wheel that looks like a late 6" Fuchs.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D6645

Now here's the bizzare part, they even make repro Fuchs with a 5 on 112mm bolt pattern to fit VW Vans! Certain years of Mercedes Benz' also had this bolt pattern. Wonder when we'll see Fuchs on a Merc?

dvkk

I stand corrected. They actually pay up to $3,500 for a set, of 4.5's and 6's, and if you do not belive me, call Tom Woodford, he sells them for this all the time. Maybe not in Canada, but in California, they do. I have 5 4.5's done by Harvey, and they are worth about $5,000. I sent Harvey 5 wheels, of which 2 had some road rash. He replaced 2 of mine with 2 that had no rash. The reason, the VW guys want them polished, not original finish, and you can repair a wheel and polish it, but you can not do an original finish on a repaired wheel. If you do not believe that, call Harvey, that is if you know who he is, and will believe him. I did not think VW guys are stupid, I have a T-34, if you know what this is. Take care.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Quote Originally Posted by Eade Hopkinson
    IThe reason, the VW guys want them polished, not original finish, and you can repair a wheel and polish it, but you can not do an original finish on a repaired wheel. If you do not believe that, call Harvey, that is if you know who he is, and will believe him.
    Eade,

I assume you mean that if a wheel is welded on for repair, that it can't be refinished...correct? I'm aware of that, but just wanted to clarify. I've had wheels that were "curbed" and filed down and refinished without a problem (by Harvey...).

Eric