Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro to Early 911s

Intro to Early 911s

Well I certainly got mine over the last two days.

Yes I am new here. I am also new and fresh to classic cars and early 911s.

i took the plunge after a long time of lurking on the sidelines and many of my (relatively) young years (I'm slightly older than my new/old 911) wanting a classic 911. I am a car nut of the highest order and have owned quite a few interesting "modern" cars over the years including my first Porsche--a nicely specced and set up 996 C4. To be honest the 996 didn't really light me on fire. It was a good car that did everything right but never generated any major lust, unlike a few other cars I've owned. I really wasn't sad to part with it.

Anyway, my plunge into the world relevant here was the purchase of one of your members' 69 RGruppe 911 T. I came across it on Ebay and was familiar with the RGruppe. I went for it. The process on that started about 6 weeks ago. While waiting for the car to get here, a good friend also happened to be in the market for an early 911. I posted here and another member contacted me and he and my friend made the deal for a 73.5 911T with a 3.0 CIS motor.

I was a little jealous as his car was up in San Francisco and ready for pickup within days while I was still waiting (after 6 weeks) for my car to get here. So he did what any good friend would and flew me up to pick it up and drive back to LA with him. We set off on that trip yesterday morning with me still having only a vague idea that my car was due within the next week. No one told me car transportation is such a vague science.

So we picked up my buddy's marine blue beauty (it was as advertised) and set out down the 101. After about 70 miles, Paul, my friend, turned to me and said "Its your turn". This would be my first drive of an early 911. I whacked out about 200 miles and then insisted Paul took back the wheel of his fantastic new car.

What a great car. Such character and such performance especially considering when it was designed and built. I love the connection with the road and the feel. The 101 was pretty clear and we cruised in the 90mph range most of the way until we hit Santa Barbara. I was smitten and also a more than excited for the arrival of my car. Now I understood what the legend of the 911 was all about--something I never got from the 996.

Then in the middle of the drive the driver of the truck w/ my car on it called me. My car would be arriving early the next morning and I arranged delivery at my office in Hollywood. Last night would have been a long one had I not been so tired from such an eventful day so able to sleep. The drive to work was one of the longest though. Sure enough sitting in front of my office on Sunset Blvd was an 83ft Intercity Lines car transporter with a trick looking Ivory White 911 with numbers and stickers on it attracting all kinds of attention from the locals.

Bobby the truck driver had to jump--Sunset Blvd's finest were beginning to make him nervous--and I hopped in the car quickly with no time for any kind of aquaintance as rush hour traffic was all around. It started first turn of the key and I to a gas station to fill it up. After a nightmare at the DMV registering it (and being denied to keep the OG CA Black Plate!) I then took it home via Mulholland to show the wife. The car felt a little sloppy compared to Paul's and I was a little worried I'd been burned. However, it turned out there was only 20PSI in the tires. I guess this puppy hadn't been let out to play too much recently.

My drive back to the office again via Mullholland convinced me what a fantastic car this was and reaffirmed the legend. Today, I've spent as much time as I can in the car and on twisty roads. On all kinds of pretences of errands and meetings I had to go to I managed to put about 50 miles on it and its fantastic.

So I'm in. A major immersion for me and I'm glad I took what was essentiallly a blind leap in buying my 69. A friend experienced in all things early 911 told be I should drive a few different cars before deciding what to buy. I didn't but I have no regrets. I'm a fan and probably soon to be a fanatic.

I get it...

Cheers,

Steve

69 R Gruppe 911T (Ivory White)

Welcome, and congratulations. I bought my first and only Porsche a year ago, and drove my first early car when I picked it up from being restored.

What a rush!!!! I know how you felt, because I had that same eye-opening experience.

Now you get to learn all the things that you never thought you would ever want to know. It is an obsession. Not just Porsches, but especially early ones. Welcome to the crazy house.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Great Letter, I started out with early 911's got newer ones as I got older, doing the newer is better gig and the new cars are good cars for a transportion market but I could not get any satisfaction, till I brought a old one again, then I had to re-get it, so now I understand

Congrat and enjoy!!! You bought one of the "good ones".
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

I bought my longhood sight unseen, never having driven an air cooled 911. I just knew I wanted one; there is no logic to explain why some people are drawn to these cars. I had the same sense of completion when I drove it for the first time. It is still the most engaging, amazing and enjoyable vehicle I have ever driven. We all know you will feel the same in perpetuity. Congrats and welcome!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Welcome to the ranks of fallen and terminally smitten. Once you have entered the realm of the early 911, you may be forever lost. But not to worry, you have plenty of company.

Scoring an R Gruppe car is a real coup.

Will look forward to the personalization of your new car and tales thereof.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick, you are a poster child. Your car is indescribable in the details you went to. As was said before: welcome to the crazy house.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Steve,
    Congrat's. You now have discovered what many of us here have known for years: The early 911's are some of the best sportscars ever built. And they are still relatively cheap compared to their peers even at today's increasing prices.
    I had owned numerous 60's Euro sportscars before discovering that early 911's were the real gems almost 8 years ago. I was in Mill Valley, CA just over the Golden Gate bridge drinking a coffee with my wife one early Saturday morning and getting ready to do some hiking with our dog. In the parking lot was a yellow early 911. I couldn't stop looking at it even though it was a little banged up. It was also for sale for around $6k which seemed cheap fpor such a car. I started looking in the SF Chronicle and picking up Auto Trader every Friday to see what came up for sale. Then I made a few $$$ with my company when the internet started popping which made me a real buyer. After seeing and driving around 10 of them, and slowly become aware of the issues and things to look for, I bought one. A gemini blue 1970 911S. That car had me hooked.
    Once you go early you never go back....

Congratulations on your purchase Steve - as Bob said, you got one of the good ones.

I came close to buying that very car about 18 months ago but was beaten to it by Joe whom you bought it from - some serious money went into that 2.9 engine.

You'll soon be wondering why you didn't discover these early cars sooner...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Congrats Steve;
    An early 911 is in someway like anything mechanical in that things at times can and do go wrong........which can be very frustrating.
    But as soon as you find yourself on some back roads with that flat 6 purrrrrrrrrring all is forgiven and all is right with the world.
    I have had my car since 1994 and no matter what I am always amazed as to how well these car were made and how pure the driving experience is.
    For 30year cars they are amazing tight with no squeaks.
    I have driven some of the new Porsche(excluding the 997 and havent driven a GT3 or GT2) and i agree with you..nice cars but no passion.
    Nuff said...enjoy every moment with your "new" car......