Thread: Interesting story...

Interesting story...

... can anyone corroborate this '67 911S story?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3ASS%3AUS%3A1

From the ad:

This car, now resembling a 1973 2.8 RSR is, I think, the most raced factory-built Porsche ever. I have fifteen SCCA/PCA/HSR logbooks for it dating back to 1976 and the factory, in the shape of Jurgen Barth, has told me that this car was first of all ordered from them by one William C. Stah of 5333 Broadway, Chicago, with a rollbar(!) and a long-range tank plus a limited-slip differential. The fitted rollbar makes it fairly apparent that this 911 was intended For competition use from new and I started off researching the history of The car by consulting the SCCA archives, by way of their archivist, Pete Hylton, for evidence of where it may have run. Sadly, he could find none but Pointed out that, if the 911S had been run in it’s local region, or autocrossed, there would not be any mention in the National archives so I’m still researching that part of it’s history. Any one remembering this car from 1967 to 1971 in the Chicago region, please get in touch! STOP PRESS! 07/18: Found out by talking with John Weinburger of Chicago, himself a very successful 911 racer in 1967 that the name of the first owner is wrong; it is really “William C. Stroh” NOT “Stah”. A Bill Stroh raced a 906 at Sebring in 1969 and this would tie in. He also raced a 911S in World Championship races in 1970, so I must presume this is the car. My biggest break in discovering the pre-1976 history came when long Time Porsche racer Peter Kitchak called me to say that this had been his Ice racer from 1971 to 1974! He distinctly remembered buying the car in, He thought, late 1970 from Minneapolis area dealer, (Carousel Porsche/Audi - Dr. Jack Zimmer, located in Hopkins Minnesota), and remembered that it’s rollbar was: "Covered in SCCA tech. Inspection stickers". This Porsche has been raced continuously for thirty seven years! I cannot remember ever having "discovered" a racecar that has run for so long, period. Peter further went on to tell me that the car had won the Can Am Ice Racing Championship whilst in his ownership, in 1971 and the International Ice Racing Championship (same series) in ’73, he thought. It was the same organization although the name was changed from Can Am Ice Racing Association to the "International Ice Racing Association". Roy Campbell looked after the carat this time and was the originator of the idea of putting the rear wing on the car. Peter’s main opposition came from Lola driver Jerry Hansen and Tom Jones from Thunder Bay, Ontario. In the other years that Peter owned the 911S, he won his class with it every year, racing at such venues as Brainerd, Duluth and St. Paul Minnesota; Eau Claire, Wisconsin; Winnepeg Manitoba, and Thunder Bay, Ontario. Peter Kitchak remembered, at Roy Campbell’s behest, having bought a Rear wing off John Surtees that had graced one of Surtees’ F5000 cars and That "the wing really worked, reducing lap times by and much as 8 seconds and making the car competive overall against the front wheel drive cars such as the Mini's and Saabs." Finally, Peter rolled the car during an ice race and drove it straight into his trailer, deciding to retire from Ice Racing in 1974. He then sold it to Larry Skoglund, who restored the car as part of a high school shop project where he taught school, before racing it himself, starting in late 1976. Larry raced the car, mainly in local races, in BIR events from 1977 to 1979. After Skoglund’s ownership, the car passed, in 1980, to Larry Chmura, with whom I’ve spoken at length. Larry told me that he’d raced the 911S mainly on the West Coast, at Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Riverside, where he competed in the IMSA 6 Hour "Los Angeles Times Grand Prix" on a number of occasions, finishing third in the GTO class in 1983, amongst other results. Larry Chmura kept the 911S until 1984 when he sold it to Russ Romer who, with Beverly Hills Porsche + Audi sponsorship and usually co -driven with Chuck McConnell, raced it in mainly IMSA and SCCA races, (including, once again, the Riverside 6 Hours). Larry sold the 911S to John Bourassa, who kept it from 1991 until 1999, mainly racing it in HSR events at Sebring and Moroso, until he sold it to Charles Espenlaub, who again raced it, mainly in HSR Enduro races, until 2004. The car has never been outside the top three in it’s group in the last five years, when driven by Charles Espenlaub. At some point, this 911S had the wheelbase lengthened to the later, (1968 and after) specification by using 930 trailing arms. It also has fully adjustable suspension, Turbo brakes, a five-speed type 915 gearbox with cooler and a 3-liter twin-plug engine with front mounted oil cooler and just nine hours running time on it. (Two three-hour races plus practice). In effect, it has been transformed into a more powerful 1973 RSR. The Gearbox was gone through and freshened at the same time as the engine was rebuilt. In the front compartment is a Fuel cell and a front mounted oil tank. The 911S has just had the bodywork refurbished, which includes new front fenders and a total repaint in white, plus a full mechanical service. This Porsche is now ready to return to the tracks that it is so used to. NOTE: To see more details, go to: www.johnstarkeycars.com
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hmm

This guy is next on my visit list. He is located a good distance from ol' Sweatty Nuts though.
    WW

car $30k story $100k
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I must have some pics of that car somewhere, as it was in the pit next to mine at BIR.
    Larry Skoglund had his 356 Carrera2 cabriolet there, also. I think Larry ended up rebuilding one of the Spyder engines for the fellow that bought my car.
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065

Anybody have the VIN for Bill STROH's 67 911S ?

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    ... can anyone corroborate this '67 911S story?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3ASS%3AUS%3A1

From the ad:

This car, now resembling a 1973 2.8 RSR is, I think, the most raced factory-built Porsche ever. I have fifteen SCCA/PCA/HSR logbooks for it dating back to 1976 and the factory, in the shape of Jurgen Barth, has told me that this car was first of all ordered from them by one William C. Stah of 5333 Broadway, Chicago, with a rollbar(!) and a long-range tank plus a limited-slip differential. The fitted rollbar makes it fairly apparent that this 911 was intended For competition use from new and I started off researching the history of The car by consulting the SCCA archives, by way of their archivist, Pete Hylton, for evidence of where it may have run. Sadly, he could find none but Pointed out that, if the 911S had been run in it’s local region, or autocrossed, there would not be any mention in the National archives so I’m still researching that part of it’s history. Any one remembering this car from 1967 to 1971 in the Chicago region, please get in touch! STOP PRESS! 07/18: Found out by talking with John Weinburger of Chicago, himself a very successful 911 racer in 1967 that the name of the first owner is wrong; it is really “William C. Stroh” NOT “Stah”. A Bill Stroh raced a 906 at Sebring in 1969 and this would tie in. He also raced a 911S in World Championship races in 1970, so I must presume this is the car. My biggest break in discovering the pre-1976 history came when long Time Porsche racer Peter Kitchak called me to say that this had been his Ice racer from 1971 to 1974! He distinctly remembered buying the car in, He thought, late 1970 from Minneapolis area dealer, (Carousel Porsche/Audi - Dr. Jack Zimmer, located in Hopkins Minnesota), and remembered that it’s rollbar was: "Covered in SCCA tech. Inspection stickers". This Porsche has been raced continuously for thirty seven years! I cannot remember ever having "discovered" a racecar that has run for so long, period. Peter further went on to tell me that the car had won the Can Am Ice Racing Championship whilst in his ownership, in 1971 and the International Ice Racing Championship (same series) in ’73, he thought. It was the same organization although the name was changed from Can Am Ice Racing Association to the "International Ice Racing Association". Roy Campbell looked after the carat this time and was the originator of the idea of putting the rear wing on the car. Peter’s main opposition came from Lola driver Jerry Hansen and Tom Jones from Thunder Bay, Ontario. In the other years that Peter owned the 911S, he won his class with it every year, racing at such venues as Brainerd, Duluth and St. Paul Minnesota; Eau Claire, Wisconsin; Winnepeg Manitoba, and Thunder Bay, Ontario. Peter Kitchak remembered, at Roy Campbell’s behest, having bought a Rear wing off John Surtees that had graced one of Surtees’ F5000 cars and That "the wing really worked, reducing lap times by and much as 8 seconds and making the car competive overall against the front wheel drive cars such as the Mini's and Saabs." Finally, Peter rolled the car during an ice race and drove it straight into his trailer, deciding to retire from Ice Racing in 1974. He then sold it to Larry Skoglund, who restored the car as part of a high school shop project where he taught school, before racing it himself, starting in late 1976. Larry raced the car, mainly in local races, in BIR events from 1977 to 1979. After Skoglund’s ownership, the car passed, in 1980, to Larry Chmura, with whom I’ve spoken at length. Larry told me that he’d raced the 911S mainly on the West Coast, at Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Riverside, where he competed in the IMSA 6 Hour "Los Angeles Times Grand Prix" on a number of occasions, finishing third in the GTO class in 1983, amongst other results. Larry Chmura kept the 911S until 1984 when he sold it to Russ Romer who, with Beverly Hills Porsche + Audi sponsorship and usually co -driven with Chuck McConnell, raced it in mainly IMSA and SCCA races, (including, once again, the Riverside 6 Hours). Larry sold the 911S to John Bourassa, who kept it from 1991 until 1999, mainly racing it in HSR events at Sebring and Moroso, until he sold it to Charles Espenlaub, who again raced it, mainly in HSR Enduro races, until 2004. The car has never been outside the top three in it’s group in the last five years, when driven by Charles Espenlaub. At some point, this 911S had the wheelbase lengthened to the later, (1968 and after) specification by using 930 trailing arms. It also has fully adjustable suspension, Turbo brakes, a five-speed type 915 gearbox with cooler and a 3-liter twin-plug engine with front mounted oil cooler and just nine hours running time on it. (Two three-hour races plus practice). In effect, it has been transformed into a more powerful 1973 RSR. The Gearbox was gone through and freshened at the same time as the engine was rebuilt. In the front compartment is a Fuel cell and a front mounted oil tank. The 911S has just had the bodywork refurbished, which includes new front fenders and a total repaint in white, plus a full mechanical service. This Porsche is now ready to return to the tracks that it is so used to. NOTE: To see more details, go to: www.johnstarkeycars.com