Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split chin "S" bumper

Split chin "S" bumper

I read Dr. B. Johnson's book and I am not totally clear on when the "S" bumper we all know and love became available?

Could you have ordered this option on a 1970 model? If not are the concours judges critical of this upgrade? I guess its a good idea to hold on to the original bumper or should we not make this upgrade?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Boxster,

Your S spoiler started for the 'E' series '72 cars ...
    One would think that if they were around before '72 the factory S/T race cars would have them, and they don't ... not until the '72 S/T's were raced ... then they ALL had them...

In a 'stock' class, a concour judge would indeed deduct for a S spoiler on a '70 911...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck that is what I gathered from the Johnson book.

What do our members think of running the "S" bumper on series D cars? I have heard there is a noticable improvement in handling and thats why I chose to give it a try.

I will keep my original for showing if I ever go that route.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Boxster,

Almost every performance feature the factory worked out indeed worked for added performance ...

The bigger engines, bigger rear fenders for bigger wheels and tires, the front splitter/spoiler combined with the duck tail's aerodynamic help GREATLY settled the car for high speed......it all added up

Mind you I would seldom advocate modifying a solid stock car, mostly because there is SO MUCH 'in' them the way they come...

However you asked...
    And back in the day the latest performance parts were constantly added by the factory racing team, privateers, and independent owners... just to squeeze out the very last bit by using the latest greatest improvements...

I have to admit for full discloser, my own '73-S has all of the above... and I wouldn't go back or change a thing...

'once you up the ante it's hard to leave the money on the table'

... but that's just me

Also, I'll be the first to admit, that there are plenty of narrow bodied, smaller wheeled and tire'ed, spoiler less, tailless, smaller engined cars out there that ARE and DRIVEN MUCH faster then mine.......

... and so it goes

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

S Bumper "Upgrade"

In my opinion, the spoiler looks great and if you like the looks, do it. However, I doubt most of us would really gain any performance.

Many enthusiasts think the original bumper is "elegant" and the spoiler isn't.

I think almost any owner who changed the stock appearance of his/her 911 thought of it as an "upgrade". And of course, the purists think they should all be shot.

starting to think maybe I will stick with the original as I even did not want to go the H1 route because it was not US spec as my car was delivered.

might have to think about this some more
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

The front bumper makes a difference at above 100 speeds...car doesn't "wander" as much. This is what I noticed after making the switch on my old '70 911T. Unless you plan on doing much 100 plus driving, or unless you absolutely love the look, I'd suggest you leave your car as it is...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

not much oppty for the 100+ speeds

think I will stay with originality

Thanks guys.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    The front bumper makes a difference at above 100 speeds...car doesn't "wander" as much. This is what I noticed after making the switch on my old '70 911T. Unless you plan on doing much 100 plus driving, or unless you absolutely love the look, I'd suggest you leave your car as it is...
    I too have noted the car's more stable at speed and I do so love the look. To each his own..
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Bummler
    To each his own..
    Roger that!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)