Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optima Battery

Optima Battery

I want to replace the wet batteries in my '71T with an Optima dry battery. Has anyone:

- been able to install one standing up in the original battery box, or
    - used the Rennline relocation kit to put it in the smuggler's box?

Does the Rennline kit come with full rewiring parts, or do you have to do your own re-routing of the terminal wires? Any problems with the kit or the stability of the battery once installed in the kit? Also, do you just use a punch to remove the hinge pin on the original smuggler's box cover?

Thanks for the help
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

1) Not been able to get a standing Optima in the bat boxes

2) No experience with that kit, but I beleive it should be very solid as many people use them on the track. No idea on the wiring but that is fairly straight forward if you know how to solder.

3) Ummm just remove the screw/bolt that holds the hinge - NO need to go after the pin - take the door and hinge off together - very ez.

If you need pics of the soldering process let me know....

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    Bob:

I was hoping to install them in my '73 but, in the origninal location they are just slightly too big. If you want more detail on this call Ray Morgan at Five Points Motorsports http://www.5pointsmotorsports.com/
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

I run one in my 73 sideways. Since it is a sealed gel cell you can mount them any which way without leakage. It is nice since I can still get to my quick disconnect when the car sits.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Bob, another option is that sonnenschein, a German battery maker,makes a 100% sealed Gel Cell battery that exactly replicates the size of the original twin batteries. A set is NOT cheap, but that's the way I opted to go...being semi hung up on "original" like I am. I understand an outfit called Ft. Lauderdale batteries sells them...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Dry Battery

Paul, that's my preference also. Here's a website for a company in Ft. Lauderdale selling the Sonnenschein batteries.

http://www.batteryweb.com/sonnenschein_prevailerger.cfm

Do you know what model # you have? I'm going to call them tomorrow to get their recommendation, and if it matches yours then that's the route I'm going. They are expensive.

Thanks again.
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Oddessy battery.

Hello: I use one Oddessy battery that is a gel battery and has 925 cranking amps. It small and fits in the battery box. You will have to shorten the lever clamp or make a new one out of some old rusty ones. These work great and don't seem to go flat like the Optima batteries. I get them from Jegs, Summit or a local battery place. They cost around $145. I install them on the drivers side box and remove the other battery cable. Thanks Eric

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Bob, another option is that sonnenschein, a German battery maker,makes a 100% sealed Gel Cell battery that exactly replicates the size of the original twin batteries. A set is NOT cheap, but that's the way I opted to go...being semi hung up on "original" like I am. I understand an outfit called Ft. Lauderdale batteries sells them...
    Another vote with Paul for the Dryfit Sonnenscheins. They are an exact fit so you can even use the original mounting straps. And I think they have come down in price. I recently purchased two from Lauderdale Battery and Alternator for around $100 each. The part number is alternatively listed as either A512/40 or DF75.

I think you can't go wrong with these batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by RTincher
    Paul, that's my preference also. Here's a website for a company in Ft. Lauderdale selling the Sonnenschein batteries.

http://www.batteryweb.com/sonnenschein_prevailerger.cfm

Do you know what model # you have? I'm going to call them tomorrow to get their recommendation, and if it matches yours then that's the route I'm going. They are expensive.

Thanks again.
    Mine are the A-200 "dryfit" #081-90640...but these are old numbers...I've been running my current set for 6 years or so, and I understand these numbers have been superceeded? Reed probably has the more up to date info.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

P.S: One suggestion is to check carefully, try to get GEL CELL totally sealed batteries, not sealed batteries that have liquid acid inside. Evidently, sonnenschein makes both?