Thread: 1973 RSR Replica for sale

1973 RSR Replica for sale

I am selling this very special early 911 for a fellow PCA member. The car was originally built by Stoddards in 1977 as a specially constucted 1973 911S. The new body/tub was obtained from Porsche AG and a donor '67 912 provided the VIN#. The rest of the parts were original Porsche parts through Stoddard's Imports in Ohio. I have documentation from Chuck Stoddard detailing the commisioning of this car as well as an unbelievable amount of receipts from this car's history. Anyway, the car was purchased by its present owner (a Doctor in Birmingham, AL) 7 years ago. Over the last 3-4 years the car had been fully restored to 1973 RSR specifications. The car has NEVER had any RUST or accident damage and has only travelled 70K miles since new. It now has RSR steel 9 and 11" flares that were correctly butt welded, RSR front and rear spoilers/bumpers from GT Racing, Sikkens show quality paint (receipts for $20K), custom 17" Fuchs/BBS wheels, Smart Racing suspension, RS style interior with Recaro SRD seats, roll bar, Momo wheel, etc. The motor is now a 2.7 case with 2.9 Mahle pistons and cylinders. It has Weber 40 IDA carbs with custom velocity stacks and water shields. The machine work was done at Ollies and has all the right mods such as, align boring, shuffle pinned, boattailed, etc. It has twin plug heads with Electromotive crankfire ignition and a host of other trick parts. I have detailed receipts from the engine build too (less than 10 hours on motor). The motor was rated by the engine builder at 275-290 HP. It has been dynoed at 225HP at the rear wheels. The trans. is a mid '80s 915 with LSD. I could go on and on about this car. It is in absolutely excellent condition and no expense has been spared during the RSR conversion. The owner has invested in excess of $100K. After 7 years of proud ownership he has decided to move on to a new project. Before the scutiny begins let me just say that I realize that there are some things about this car that are not necessarily period correct. The owner built the car to drive and enjoy so,in some cases "modern" items were chosen instead of period correct pieces.
    I have a huge collection of pics and a complete history of this car with a binder full of receipts/records/documentation. I have all the owners names,addresses, and phone numbers as well as all the names and phone numbers of the shops that have worked on the car. do not hesitate to call me to discuss the car or with offers. The owner is looking for offers. He has a written appraisal on the car for $65K and as stated earlier he has a lot of money invested in the car. Please make an offer if you are interested. I will be happy to assist in settin up a PPI and or I could pick you up at the Birmingham International Airport and show you the car. Thanks...Tim 205-276-1918.

some pics of the 73 RSR Replica,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Having trouble uploading large pics but here are a few more. E-mail me for additional pics. jtr996@excite.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man...is this BBII?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Is that an original IROC tail? Very cool looking car.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I'll have to check on the IROC tail and find out if it is an original. My initial thoughts are that it came from GT Racing.

Just curious why one would use a 912 VIN on what is obviously an exceptional, one-off 911?
    It seems to add the stigma of being a converted 912, even though nothing could be further from the truth.
    This seems a truly fantastic price range for this car!
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065

That is a good question. Keep in mind though that the original owner who commissioned the car to be built by Stoddard's was not building the car as an RSR as it appears today. He simply wanted a new '73 911S in 1977. According to the extensive paperwork he purchased a 1967 912 for $1900 just to get a VIN # for the car. Maybe he could not find a 911 cheap enough, I don't really know. I may try to contact him and ask him. I'm sure he had no idea that his car would one day become what it is now.

Thanks for the reply.
    That does make a little more sense, I guess. Sure is a beauty, I'm almost tempted!
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065

The car is being listed on EBAY today.