Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest R Gruppe/Esses Run to '06 Monterey

Midwest R Gruppe/Esses Run to '06 Monterey

Time is going to be the problem here. My 2 cents: meet in Chicago area (or whatever the best central location is?) Monday AM and shoot straight for Monterey. Arrive Thursday AM. Run down to LA area Sunday evening with the local boyz, prep the cars for shipping/storage and fly out Monday night.

Logistical problems: where do we stage the cars for shipping back to the midwest? Where do we ship the cars to? How many cars are going? We need to keep this to a manageable group. i.e. The more cars we have, the more stops, the more potential breakdowns, etc. We need to figure out how many cars we can get on a transporter - six? Sounds like we've got at least 2 cars that will stay in LA.

I thought the whole point of an Rgruppe meet was to
    drive the car there !

Interesting idea though....
    Do you know someone trust-worthy in the business or looking to hire
    any transport?
    Heard from Cris that the meet this year is in Sonoma.

If you drive out, come thru Durango, CO & we can caravan !
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Trucking Co

With The 5 Auctions,the Races And The Couple Of Shows Shipping Cars May Make This Very Hard To Do,expect To $1500 Or So Per Car And I Do Believe The Earlier The Better To Book The Truck

My goal has been to take a driving vacation that would involve some type of meet on the coast with other early types. I don't understand why we wouldn't just take off on Saturday, or even Friday, so that we would have some solid days of driving early on.

Then upon arrival, we would have some nice touring around the coast - Napa, coast highway, redwoods, etc, before spending the next weekend at the R Gruppe meet. Then we could fly back on Sunday or Monday.

If we are just going to drive out to meet up for Monterrey, it will be hard for me to justify.

:edit: I hope that Frank is wrong with his cost estimate. If it is really $1,500 to ship Kermit back, I might have to pass.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by Type911
    I thought the whole point of an Rgruppe meet was to
    drive the car there !
    We are driving there, just not driving home. Only so much vacation.

I spoke with Cris earlier this week and the event will be the first weekend of May and will likely be held north of Monterey.

Im with Larry that it would make sense to leave Sat of the previous week to make progress without burning up vacation days.

If it works out for everyone else, I would probably be able to arrange storage for the cars here in Dayton for the return trip. The cars could be unloaded here and retrieved the first w-e of June for the Taj event. Just a thought/option.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I'll probably be game for whatever the group comes up with, but my thought is to do the same as Dave and I did on the Rennsport trip - drive straight to the event. I'm all for sightseeing, but I can fly out there anytime and rent a cushy minivan for that stuff .... the only sightseeing I need to do will be in the parking lot at Monterey. I consider this a religious crusade, a journey to mecca and the center of the early 911 hotrod universe .... maybe I'm too hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    If it is really $1,500 to ship Kermit back,
    larry
    My strong guess is that there are economies to be realized in consolidation. If a carrier can pick up a full, or nearly full load in one location, I would expect a hefty individual savings. Minimal drop off points would likely produce further cost reduction.

Jim
    Carrera Transport, LLC (no kidding)
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Curt,
    I think the point that was being made was that if we are not burning any more vaca days, why not leave on Sat instead of sitting on our thumbs sat/sun and then driving out on Mon. The second consideration is that the wives who meet us out there are going to want to do something more than sit around the RGruppe parking lot.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    .... the only sightseeing I need to do will be in the parking lot at Monterey. I consider this a religious crusade, a journey to mecca and the center of the early 911 hotrod universe .... maybe I'm too hardcore
    Curt:

That's an interesting thought. BUT, there is not a likelihood that I would do this without Judy, and I know that her interest will be piqued by other things. If we just went there for R Gruppe she would . . . . . pass. and I would as well.

Regarding transportation. I will check into that if no one else minds. I will check into both enclosed and open trailers. My guess is that on the way back, the trucker could easily drop off cars in Chicago on his way to Dayton. I am not sure how I would get to Dayton to pick up Kermit several weeks later.

Are there any very negative feelings about open trailers? I think that open trailers hold more cars, and are likely less expensive.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

My vw still has bugs fried into the paint from being shipped to socal in 03 on an open trailer. Pass!

We will likely have one pick-up and one drop-off for the transporter for expense reasons, but maybe not. We can cross that hurdle later. What is one-way air-fare from Chicago to Dayton? $75?
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439