Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midwest R Gruppe/Esses Run to '06 Monterey

Larry Wrote: Regarding transportation. I will check into that if no one else minds.

Sounds good to me. I would suggest the carriers who are known to have an established track record:

Intercity, Passport Transport (now a Fed Ex ) company, horsless Carriage, Reliable. Dozens more are listed here:

http://hemmings.com/index.cfm/fuseac...ype/transport/

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Another Option

I own a 7,000 sq. ft building that I keep my cars in. You could ship all of the cars out here, I will store them, all of you fly in whenever, let's say you all get here Tuesday night. We have a great BBQ at my house on Tuesday night. A large group of us leave from here and the L.A. area, usually on Thursday, when the event was in Monterey.
    With the event possibly in Sonoma, I may think about leaving on Wednesday. We could stay in Cambria, or possibly even Monterey, and then leave Thursday from Monterey, and be in Sonoma that afternoon. Once I know how many of you are coming, I could make the reservations for where ever we decided to stay both going up, and for anyone who wanted to drive back here and end up shipping your car back. This amount of time would allow us to drive up Highway 1, going by Hearst Castle, Big Sur, and some of the best roads in the U.S. The good thing about shipping this way, you will not have to deal with breakdowns in the middle of BFE trying to get here. At least all of you could start from here, and you have one spot that all of the cars would be shipped to. And, if there are problems here, there is lots of help here in good old California. I am 30 miles north of San Diego Airport, or about 90 miles south of L.A. airpot. I also have enough room for 3 couples at my house, both for when you get here, and for any of you who want to fly out from here. There are also many motels etc. very close to where I live, so the rest of you could stay there. I also will be taking my trailer up, and that way if anyone broke down, we could keep going on up to Sonoma, and fix it once we get there. I can also take lots of tools and parts, etc. in the trailer. If it could not be fixed, we could trailer it back to my building, and it could be shipped back to you from here. (The only problem with this: which ever car breaks down, I will have to unload my 73 Viper Green RSR 3.6 car from the trailer, and the person who broke down will have to drive it, up there and possibly back ) Reason: My wife does not like to drive the Suburban with the trailer on it. Also, if one of you did have problems, once back at my shop, my mechanic could fix it, you fly home, then fly back to pick it up at a later time, and still have a fun drive back to where you live, if that is an option for you. You could leave your car here for as long as you like. Those of you who leave from Sonoma, can make your own schedule from there to get you to where ever you live, and which ever way you want to go.
    Hopefully this option may work for some of you. Being able to possibly help all of you who want to make this long trek to this West Coast Event with your INCREDIBLE cars, priceless!!
    Also, anyone who flies in from somewhere other than North America, I could let you use one of the following cars to drive to the event. 1972S Targa Light Yellow, 1967S Slate Grey with a 2.7, and a 1969S Tangerine. First 3 to speak, first served on these 3 cars. Let's make this a World Wide Event in 2006
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Very tempting............I will leave my lugs loose just to get a chance to drive the RSR
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I think my car will be in for an oil change that week and a 1967 Slate Gray S would be just about right
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03
    I think my car will be in for an oil change that week and a 1967 Slate Gray S would be just about right
    Did you move to Europe? Australia? You have to take the 70E up there!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

should have it back in a week or two. will try and get some pictures taken see if you recognize it any more

I sourced the appropriate blaupunkt frankfurt US radio this week
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

"....if we are not burning any more vaca days"

What's a vacation day? I own a business. Sat, Sun, Weds .... they're all work days But leaving Sat. is fine with me depending on the agenda.

Eade - that 's a VERY generous and tempting offer. Anything's possible at this stage and maybe we'll wind up with a couple of different midwest groups getting there and back in different ways. But driving to Monterey/Sonoma is something some of us want to do. I see it as part of the R Gruppe experience. Some are driving from San Diego, some from the NW, I just happen to be driving from Michigan. Maybe we could drive to your place and caravan up to Monterey from there - that'd be a blast.

We talked about shipping the cars out and then driving them back, but it seems that would make for a LONG drive home. The adrenalin will be gone by then!

Eade

RE: "Also, anyone who flies in from somewhere other than North America, I could let you use one of the following cars to drive to the event. 1972S Targa Light Yellow, 1967S Slate Grey with a 2.7, and a 1969S Tangerine. First 3 to speak, first served on these 3 cars. Let's make this a World Wide Event in 2006"

What are the dates for the '06 Montery event? (and dibs on the slate grey...)
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

ps. on a related note - i'm attending a wedding on new zealand's south island in february and have been offered the groom's 2.7RS replica for the week prior to take my girlfriend on a little vacation. the south island has great roads and very few cops - can't wait.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Hi Ryan,

The dates for the RGruppe gathering for '06 is the first weekend in May, which is 5th through the 7th. The event will probably be held a little ways north of Monterey. Those details will be shared with us all very shortly. Hope you can make it over, Eade's offer is really quite generous and that car is really

Here is the car and owner.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299