Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotch Brite on polished fuchs results...

Scotch Brite on polished fuchs results...

I blew my P budget on the engine transplant (rebuilt 2.7, SSIs, rebuilt carbs, external oil cooler) but wanted to "refinish" my already polished deep 6s. This required an inexpenisve route as opposed to Al or Harvey. With the advice from Chris, user id cnielson, and $7.48 in Scotch Brite pads I managed to achieve very pleasing results.
    Although difficult to capture in a photograph the finish has the appearance of a raw media blasted and anodized fuch and in some lights - the frosted RSR finsh. It is very similar to a brushed satin look which retains the reflective characteristic of metal vs the flatness of paint.
    Though the finish is now more pourous I think it will require about the same maintenance as a polished fuch. I only polished my wheels twice in the 3 years that I had them done. So I think these wheels will only require rescuffing once a year and the same foam glass cleaner after each wash.
    So for $7.48 ($1.87 x 4 per packet), the car got a new look and I am completely satisfied.

PIC1: AFTER
    PIC2: BEFORE
    PIC3: SCOTCH BRITE
    PIC4: SCOTCH BRITE
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Keep us posted on how they weather. My frosted Fuchs have since been the recipient if the wrong cleaner and may need the same.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Bob, I'm tracking you down on the technique you used - thanks for the pad advice but did you buff one direction than at a 90, or small circles, or ?? How much pressure did you use. If you pressed too hard did it create scratches?
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Hey Rick,
    I cross posted on pelican and left a bit more follow up detail on the technique. The end result is a brushed finish so it will leave fine scracthes in the direction of the scuffing. Hope it helps:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=248564
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Wheels

This may be a stupid question, but can you purchase different grades abrasive pads or are they all the same? I haven't purchased them in quite a while - if so, which ones did you use?
    thx.
    Robert

just saw your other post and it answered my question.
    Robert

Looks nice!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

My Lord...very low bow
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

yes there are different grades of pads - go to a woodworker's shop for a big range

be sure to avoid real steel wool as the Pelican post points out.

Bob - maybe you can explain the red vs. green lines more on the Pelican post?

great work!

Hey Randy - the green arrow lines represent the direction of the "grain" and the redlines indicate the sections followed by the yellow numbers for the order of execution.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com