Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Engine Lid Letter Color

Quote Originally Posted by 911kiwi
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the 72T had aluminum (silver) lettering while the E & S had black anodised.
    ????? Anyone care to chime in?
    Black was NOT the only lettering on a '72. I've read something similar regarding the model differentiation. I also think it was an option. I'll check later tonight if I have time.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic
    Black was NOT the only lettering on a '72. I've read something similar regarding the model differentiation. I also think it was an option. I'll check later tonight if I have time.
    I'll need some proof in the form of a factory option list or brochure to believe that, although I suppose it's possible a very early '72 was deliverd with '71 options.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

I had the same questions when I thought I was missing my letters. Most people said black, but some said they could have been whatever was available. I can't say my car was unmolested, but as time went on I realized it did retain a lot of original parts, and some of those parts (found under the seat) included the gunmetal letters (faded black anodize). So, with all that said.......I put gold letters on a leaf green car; what do I care? It looks great!
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!

I'll need some proof in the form of a factory option list or brochure to believe that, although I suppose it's possible a very early '72 was deliverd with '71 options.
    It actually turned out the opposite so to speak. My 71'S was made in April of 71' making it a late 71'. It came with a couple of 72' items. The 6x15 Fuchs are the flat type not the deep six and the side view mirror is the 72' style mirror as opposed to the Durant. I've seen atleast three other late 71' cars the same way.

As far as the scripts go it's been my understanding that in 72/73' all P O R S C H E lettering was black anodized as well as model designation and the Targa script. Displacement emblems are chrome over black.

Before that (pre 72') P O R S C H E letters were chrome for the T's and gold for the E and S. The model designation was also this same way with the T being Chrome and the E and S being Gold but you could order a T with Gold model designation but the P O R S C H E letters would remain chrome.

The Targa emblem was gold regardless of model.

Of course you could always buy letters and put on what ever you wanted.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Make that 4 late 1971's you know of that had some 1972 model configurations. My 1971 911 T was built in April 1971 -- and it came with the square rearview mirror, black engine grill, black trim on light lenses and black PORSCHE letters. The Targa script is the same as the roll bar - that brushed stainless steel look. I had the tough decision as to whether to take her back to "stock" 1971 (chrome engine grill, etc) or leave it the way it came from the factory.

T Emblem/Engine Grille Colors

Any more April/May or later 1971 T owners that can chime in on this. I've got a May '71 T coupe that has a number of euro aspects (odo/speedo in KM, H1's), originally delivered through the Netherlands for ultimate delivery to Vancouver/Portland.

Like others have mentioned here, it has the square mirror, black decklid lettering, black engine grille anodizing (very well done), and black turn signal trim. I've always thought that the T's were all silver until '72, and that these were all just owner "upgrades" for the fashions of the mid '70's.

Say it ain't so...?
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

A sweet T
    Quote Originally Posted by RTincher
    Any more April/May or later 1971 T owners that can chime in on this. I've got a May '71 T coupe that has a number of euro aspects (odo/speedo in KM, H1's), originally delivered through the Netherlands for ultimate delivery to Vancouver/Portland.

Like others have mentioned here, it has the square mirror, black decklid lettering, black engine grille anodizing (very well done), and black turn signal trim. I've always thought that the T's were all silver until '72, and that these were all just owner "upgrades" for the fashions of the mid '70's.

Say it ain't so...?
    I'll tell ya, it must be a pretty darn late '71 if it has black turn signal trim because that wasn't available until the 1973 model year.

My black 72T had black lettering that had faded to a really nice gunmetal. However, I just replaced it with gold lettering as the PO had replaced the '911T' badge with a gold one. I love the gold on black combo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

engine lid letter colors

Weren't there several colors of letters available or supplied in 72-73?
    I've seen cars with black letters, some with grey, etc. The black letters I had on a previously owned car were pure black, not anodized.....could these have been repros?
    Gary Grasso
    Early 911S Registry #843
    73 911S Targa silver/black
    04 Carrera cabriolet black/black
    70 Mercedes 280SL blue/blue
    56 Pontiac Safari sandlewood/white

Quote Originally Posted by smg911
    I'll tell ya, it must be a pretty darn late '71 if it has black turn signal trim because that wasn't available until the 1973 model year.

All 72' cars came stock with black lettering on the engine lid.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.