Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combo Headlights: H4s and Early 65-67 Lenses???

Combo Headlights: H4s and Early 65-67 Lenses???

Can the early style 65-67 lenses be combined with the H4 assemblies? If so, where to buy the early lenses?
    I would like to retain the bightness of the H4s but have the look of the early sloping bug eyed lenses. I assume the entire early headlight assemblies are not as bright as the H4s.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Yes - my 66 car has Hella H4's with the original covers. My old 67 car also had H4's (forget which type) with the original covers too.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Bob-

I think I have still seen the early replacement lenses in the catalogs (Tweeks, Performance Prod., etc.) They are still made for VWs, at least.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

One way to go with the SWB cars is to place 7" round H-4 lights behind the original clear glass covers & rims. Here's a great source for lights, bulbs, relays, etc. Daniel knows his stuff on lights.
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Bob, these are Cibie buckets with NOS Marchal Amplilux H-1 lamps. I'll go with BIG bulbs and Marcus Sucro's relay kit and

LIGHT UP THE NIGHT!

No need for auxilliary lighting with these.

You can get the H-4s replacement lamps in a sealed beam or the replaceable bulb type for bigger bulb capacity (relays mandatory for bulb life).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I have also seem something that looks pretty nice is using the H1 bucket and an early lense from a 356 or beetle. From a casual look it looks like a 65-67 euro set, then you can see the different reflectors of the H1 assembly behind. Gives a cool different look...I was thinking about trying it out myself...
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton
    Can the early style 65-67 lenses be combined with the H4 assemblies? If so, where to buy the early lenses?
    It's not clear whether you're trying to use H4 bulbs with the European-style non-sealed beam headlights (with a fluted pattern in the front lens) or you want to replace 7" sealed beams in the American-style units.

Either one is possible, but the solution is different.

You can buy H4 replacement lights for 7" sealed beams from several sources and put them in the American-style assemblies. These take standard H4 bulbs.

- or -

You can now get H4 bulbs with a non-standard base which will replace the Tungsten filament bulb in the European-style assemblies.

Either way, adding relays will protect your expensive headlight switch and turn signal/high-low beam switch.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I appreciate the advice everyone.

I have H4s on the car now but like the look of the sloped back bug eyed clear lens like on the early 66 912s. The lens has the 19 20 21 designations. I would like to combine this lens with my H4 assemblies. The tweeks catalog does list a clear lens and bucket but they have the tabs and no hole at the bottom. I don't mind taking my dremel and drill if it is a straight "bolt in" in process.

This is the look I like, what is the deal with the center orange bulb? Note the tabs:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob? Contsact the Emory's...they built the car in your pic...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton
    I have H4s on the car now but like the look of the sloped back bug eyed clear lens like on the early 66 912s. . . The tweeks catalog does list a clear lens and bucket but they have the tabs and no hole at the bottom. I don't mind taking my dremel and drill if it is a straight "bolt in" in process.

This is the look I like, what is the deal with the center orange bulb? Note the tabs:
    The ones with the tabs on the bottom are probably VW headlights (which are essentially the same as 356 headlights). On VWs and 356s, the screw that holds the headlight to the car goes through tha tab. On 911s, the screw goes through the bottom of the rim.

That center orange bulb is the parking light on many VWs and 356s. The VW units aren't really a great fit, won't look quite right, and the headlight adjusting range might get to be a problem.

The original 911/912 headlight unit is part 901.631.101.31 which used to be widely available. Stoddards still lists them for $ 138.20, but they're currently out of stock.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet