Thread: Porsche dead pedal

Porsche dead pedal

Hello all. I have some questions about the factory dead pedal and have already researched the subject matter here & on pelican. #1- I understand that there is supposed to be a rubber insert { 356 Reutter luggage rack rubber? }, I contacted international mercantile and they have not had any in a while and will not have any. Is there a similar replacement? Will somebody please post a close-up picture of the rubber. #2- I would also like to know if there were any placed in a vehicle by the factory w/ carpeting. Was the carpet cut? Was the dead pedal placed over the carpet? Again, any close-up pics? Also, what was the method of adhering this part to the vehicle? Is the placement self-explanatory? Again, as many close-up pics as possible will be much appreciated. Thanks guys / gals!
    Ivs
    69 911E

Here's a photo of Rolly Resos' 911 with vintage dead pedal:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Dead pedal rubber

Hello: Go to your local home center and buy some black rubber carpet runner material. It also makes a good looking floor covering as well. I use this stuff for the top of tool boxs and work bench tops as well. When it looks bad put on a new piece. I hope this doesn't offend any originality people. Thanks Eric

You can get a repro early 911 factory style dead pedal from TRE racing...about $85 I think. Re: installation; they fit nicely and install easily. I've used sheet metal screws and trimed off the pointed screw ends which protrudes slightly into the left front wheel well. Because the dead pedal is designed to fit the contours of the driver side footwheel you don't need much to hold it in. Sheet metal screws work fine. I've got one mounted that way on a '73S coupe I raced for 20+ years and it's as firm as ever. re: Under/over the carpet I've seen them installed both ways. However, a '73S Targa I owned many years ago had it installed at the factory under the carpet. I have installed several over the years on early 911's and always put them under the carpet. The carpet quickly conforms to the shape of the dead pedal and doesn't wear excessively. If you want to see your dead pedal you can trim carpet around it. Finally, I can't imagine driving an early 911 without a deadpedal. Once you have it in your car you'll never be without it. It just seems to be a natural place to rest your left foot and to brace with your left foot when cornering hard.