Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas cap vs. oil cap

Gas cap vs. oil cap

I am new here and have a question about an eary 'T'.

The oil cap on my 72 does not fit well and does not match gas cap. Should it?

I just obtained a new gas cap and the part descritpion printed on the bag said "Gas/Oil cap". This got me to wondering if a prior owner had the wrong cap on the oil tank.

Or better yet, can anyone post a inside/outside photo of the oil cap?

I can't post pics, no digital camera here...but this is a common goof on the part of suppliers. 1972 oil cap is unique in that it uses "spades" on it's back side to lock into place. It should only say "OIL" (or 710 ) on it's top side, written twice. On may other models, the gas and oil caps are interchangable...but not in '72. I'd give Stoddards a ring...you may pay a bit more, but once you specify that it's a '72 model, you'll probably get the right cap.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Stoddards

I just got off the phone with Stoddards. They indicated they had it in stock, that it was unique to the 72, but that it was the same part as the 356 used. This last bit threw me. I did a search on their site for the part # they gave me (pcg-207271-00) and obtained the 356/912 page. It showed a cap with many scallops along the outside edge. Somehow I can't believe this is it. When I can I will post a photo of mine to compare to.

Scallops on the outside,, doesn't sound right.
    There are two versions,, some with OIL stamped in raised letters in the cap and some with only a orange decal stating OIL.
    Robert

That doesn't sound right to me...okay I'm looking at BOTH oil and gas caps from my '72 S. Oil cap description:
    NO SCALLOPS
    Outside dia. is 2.5" It has OIL in raised letters on both sides of the turning ridge. It's backside has a flat rubber gasket surrounding a raised section with embossed writing reading: made in Western Germany, ohne luftung. This raised section is 1.5" in diameter, with two spade lugs sticking out from it. These lugs are 1.8" tip to tip, and are .33 inch wide, in a dished shape, the curve of the dish facing you as you look at the bottom of the cap.

The gas cap is also 2.5" outside diameter, uses a cork gasket, has a 1.73 inch raised center section on the back side with NO lugs, and has 3 dented flutes that hold the cap on.

Read the above to a good parts counter guy, and you MIGHT get the right cap. I hope so anyway.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Murray in the catalog order parts dept. at Stoddards is usually right on...

I checked the Stoddard part catalog and the part number you mention is accurate. Maybe the picture is wrong?

Good luck.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

OK...I think I can help on this one. My '72 parts POS car has the oil cap on it and I believe it says Oil on it. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if my old brain can remember and post it here for you.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Easy mistake to make...

The 72 oil cap is unique and unless you specifically ask for it you'll get the gas/oil one used in other years.

The give away is that the oil cap has the prongs on the inside that slot under the rolled lip of the oil filler neck and hold it down that way.

The gas cap has rolled edges which fit over the top of the filler neck and grasp the rolled out edge of the filler neck...

The OIL stamped on the oil cap should also give it away...but even experts get it wrong at times..

Correct part number for the 1972 model is 911 207 271 00 not the 901 207 271 00
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Thanks Kevin...Now, stand on one foot, loose gravel footing, and follow this pen with your eyes while saying the alphabet backwards. You're right of course, a single digit or letter can make a HUGE difference in parts numbers, or internet searches. Thanks again.