Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17800 Pages on Porsche

17800 Pages on Porsche

I'm sure many of you have heard about Google's plan to scan and digitize every book in the world and have it available free on the web. Well, they've got a start on it. Of course, there are some serious copyright issues and, for now, full text is only available on books out of copyright. Nonetheless, a quick search for "Porsche" turned up 17800 digitized pages available on-line .... Not sure if there are any complete 'out-of-copyright' Porsche books on there yet.

http://print.google.com/

thanks that is great!
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Actually not that great, there are so many restrictions on looking at the material you won't get very far in looking for info. pretty worthless.. And they remember what you have looked at already so no cheating the system. I suppose you could create new accounts. will try that. cleaning out the cache will not do it. big brother in action here.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Yeah, I've just started playing with it. I think the trick is to find the non-copyright stuff. There's got to be something useful in there amongst 17,000 documents!

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I obviously know little about copyright law .... looks like most of the stuff that is no longer copyrighted is from the 1800's ..... Anyway, this will still prove to be a useful tool. For instance, if you're searching for something specific regarding Porsches it will direct you to the pages of books containing that information. Based on that, you can make a decision on whether to purchase the book. Google actually has the entire books scanned, you just can't access everything. Oh well, I'm sure there are changes to come. Google's original intent was to have everything available to everyone.

Where there's a will, there's a way ..... here're the results of 10 minutes of browsing around the Google library:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hoot! Curt, the pic of the blue car...the caption: "Beginning in the 1972 model year"? Uh, check out the oil filler [U]under[U] the engine lid, the oil filter pointing straight out. Once again, just because it's in print, it ain't necessarily so.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

apologies for the double post...easier than editing. Caption could be technically correct, since the author said "beginning" in the 1972 model year. I'm guessing this is a pic from a '73. Period correct because of the red/orange purolator PC260 oil filter. I have one of those left on my garage shelf. Oh, here's a pic of my '72 engine, taken from roughly the same angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

so many things wrong with that picture where to start
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser