Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS # 987 1978 Mote Carlo Rallye

RS # 987 1978 Mote Carlo Rallye

Thanks to Rob Gross's eagle eye, he bought from German ebay a French magazine giving a recap of the 78 Monte Carlo Rallye. On the cover is my RS #987. At this time it's going through a extensive restoration. It ran in 55 of Europe's biggest rallyes between 1973 and 1982. At least 5 outright wins, several 2nd's, and 3rd's. ( also, several DNF's!) Original color was tangerine. I have a ton of history on this car. Hopefully, my photo will post.

78 Monte Carlo

My program says the picture is to big to post. Brian, HELP !!

Here you go Rick.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

These two pictures show very well the differant weather conditions the Monte Carlo Rallye takes you through. The color shot shows a nice dry day and on lookers are dressed for a clear day. The black and white shot shows the harsh snow, and the spectators are dressed in winter clothing.

Hey Rick, I probably missed this somewhere, but what are your plans? Will this be streetable when you're done, or what? Are you replicating the livery, light setup, etc.?

Yes, it will be streetable for sure. A little sparten inside, but that's what it's all about. The car will be in rallye trim as the car was, except for the light setup in the Monte. The mounting system with 4 lights across the crude mount, I will do like a earlier shot I have of the car. It had the Cibie lights above the horn grill from the factory. Then 2 on the hood in the normal location. This car was no gararge queen that's for sure! It was one of the few that was used for purposes intended.
    The color is the tough part. It was orange from the factory. I have been told by some of my peers that the car must be yellow as it was in it's racing day.
    1) I can't deal with color changes.
    2) I don't like the 73 yellow

I believe Ricks goal is to restore it back to the way the car raced at the Monte Carlo. Am I right??? I certainly think it as a high point in its carreer.. He forgot to mention that his car was top forth German team and it placed tops in its division.
    Rick,, the artical is in German, not French..

,, kicking myself I didnt buy that RS when it was on ebay 3 years ago.
    What was it again,, "But it Now" for less than an SC..

Robert.

Mikes Hard Orange!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911
    I believe Ricks goal is to restore it back to the way the car raced at the Monte Carlo. Am I right???
    Will it be restored "as raced"? Great car!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Not exactly, but close.
    George, great picture of my haircut!!