Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraudulent ebay Ad - Obvious SCAM!

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar

Fraudulent ebay Ad - Obvious SCAM!

These seem to surface more and more frequently but when they are this obvious, I am amazed that there are (apparently) 11 bids on what is clearly a scam ad. Consider for instance that the seller says:

• One owner (OK, this car is 50 years old, sure, I'll buy that)
    • Low Miles (first time I've seen a car with over 400,000 miles advertised as LOW mileage)
    • 8 Cylinder (wasn't that the standard offering for a 1955 356? photo clearly shows a correct 4 cylinder)
    • Automatic Transmission (yeah, right)

There is no suggestion (in fact the ad strongly suggests the opposite) that this is a replica and the seller has been an ebay member in good standing since last Tuesday. Woo Hoo!

This one is such a joke I had to share; hope you get a good laugh out of it. I am still shocked that anyone would actually bid on this blatently obvious SCAM!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh. And I almost forgot to add he only wants $11,500 for it! Bid now with confidence!
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

356 is over 20,000 at this time. I get a kick out of watching the pricing shooting up on ebay. Sure makes ya wonder where it's going huh?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

It is pretty comman to see those kind of errors on ebay listings. There is definitely something fishy with a speedster for sale for $11,500. I have seen quite a few listings where they must be phishing for email addresses.
    Phil

The car is not a replica and he probably wants $115,000 for it. I doubt it is a scam.

Don

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    I've never posted a car for sale on ebay but I have to assume the seller in this case had to actually key stroke the words One Owner which, I'm sorry, I seriously doubt.

If this person is expecting to get $115k for the car, which a nice Speedster is capable of bringing, you would think they would describe this specific car, not just the marque itself.

Who knows, you all may be right, maybe it is just a total ebay novice trying to sell a $100,000+ car. I still say something dosen't smell good with this one.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

If he wants $115K for his car he should have put a reserve in place. This should be interesting to watch. I'll bet he has had dozens and dozens of emails from people wanting to come see this one owner Speedster with no reserve.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I doubt it is a scam either. You gotta love those Pre-A rolled in rockers and those bitchin speedster seats.

Cheers !

Scam. Here is the response from the 'seller'.

"Dear Customer,
    The car is located in Washington, VA, It has all the papers(complete) as well as the service book.
    I want this transaction to be smooth enough as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and have very few time at my disposal. The car is in perfect condition, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs what so ever, a great car ready to be yours. I am the first owner of the car and it has no accident or any engine problem.
    The price is $11,500 including shipping costs anywhere in the continental US. There are no other costs regarding this transaction. Now, in order to be able to buy it please let me know if you have any negative feedback and, if this is the case, for what reason. I apologize for asking for such information but I need to be sure.
    Please also provide me with the following details necessary to take a decision:
    -your full name and address for shipping
    -your ph#
    Regarding payment I am aware of the buyer's protection and we will use eBay Motors secure payments. I require a deposit for 2,800 with eBay Motors which will hold it until the buyer receives the car. Deposit is refundable if you do not accept the car. To complete payment the you must have cash available.
    Thank you,
    Thomas E Weyer"
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

wow...includes FREE shipping too ?!!!
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram