Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Post - First Question. :)

Question First Post - First Question. :)

Hi all

I've been told by 2 different Porsche enthusiasts that an early 911S would not make a good daily driver. I am specifically looking at a SWB 911S. I was told that as a daily driver a 911T would be preferable. They told me that a 911S has got problems with low torque.

Is this true? Thanks for your assistance.

I do not think to many 30Plus year old cars would make good daily drivers. As for what you like, it is very personal as to what you want. I know people who drive motor cylces daily and I know people who would not think of driven them selves daily any where. I have a 67S and like to road trip it and feel empty if I take another car, but I know that is not for every body. So to in ansewr to your origanel ? you have to look at the cars you have driven in the past and understand that a 911 is a very realiable sports car but it still can be more difficult than a new Toyata. My advice is any old car should be a second car. Do not worry about the diffrences between a T, S or E, it is rather subtle really. Fritz

Don't worry, I am used to old p-cars! I currently drive a 1977 911S as a daily driver - I'm considering selling it and replacing it with an earlier 911, but people tell me that an earlier 911S is much different to what I drive now.

I've used my '73 S as a daily driver for about 2 1/2 years now. I love it. It's certainly not a torquey car, but neither is a T. The relative lack of torque with my S is not a problem for a daily commute, but I also don't know how much less torquey the '67 may be.

If you expose an early 911, which are much more valuable now, to moisture on a continual basis it will rust. Your present car has some protection but the early cars really don't. I think you will be very pleased with having an early S to own and drive. I would not use one for a daily driver though.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Porsche, where do you live? That will determine how suitable the SWB 911S is as a daily driver. I wouldn't hesitate to drive my 73E coupe w/ 2.7RS engine, if the weather & streets were dry. It's way more fun than driving most any other car.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

Rust schmust

I live in Oregon, and the car is exposed to a lot of rain. When it rusts, I will either replace body parts or sell the car--driving it back and forth to work is usually the highlight of my day, and I didn't buy it as an investment or a museum piece, I bought it because it is so damn much fun to drive.

I'm new to this. I've had my car for 3 weeks or so. Barring the unusual rain that we've had on a couple of days recently, I've driven it every day. I've got other good choices every morning but I keep going for the 911. I bought the car to drive it and I've already racked 600 miles on it in less than a month.

Since mine is a pretty clean example I will keep it in the garage when it rains and there's mud around. As noted its not as easy to drive as modern car but thats part of the fun. Also the maintenance is going to be more costly but I already know thats the cost of entry. That all said I'm not sure I could deal w/ the car as my only transportation.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Where are you ? My car is VERY uncomfortable in real hot weather and I usualy get to where I am headed before it heats up in the cold.
    In heavy stop and go traffic it is not fun at all.

That said, as a toy it can't be beat. From what I understand the 2.0S engine is one of the most reliable engines out there if it is well sorted - Much less potential trouble than your 77.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Really? I've been driving my 77 2.7S everyday for the past 2 years - top-end rebuilt so no problems.

My question was really about the engine rather than the body - my wrench tells me that an E or T drives daily better than an S.

I want to know if that's true. The thing is that the S is more valuable. But he said if I get an S, I should not drive it daily. For daily driving, he told me to get an E or T.

Let me know.