Thread: Headlamp Switch Problem

Headlamp Switch Problem

On the way to work today, I noticed my headlights were not working unless I switched them to the "high" position. I suspect something has gone south in my switch on the steering column.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Do I have an alternative to replacing the switch on the steering column with a new one or is that my cost effective choice?

TIA
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Harry, you might want to do a search on Pelican. Much has been written on this one over there. In a nutshell, our cars have a poor healdight switch design. ALL the power used for lights goes through the contacts in the dimmer switch. This design is marginal for stock wattage bulbs, and an almost guaranteed failure if one goes to higher wattage bulbs. So, yes..looks like you'll need to replace your switch. Unless you're hung up on "original" you should also think of installing relays. My friend Ron Madio, of "big ride" fame, runs high output H-4's in his 1977 long hauler car. He has them wired through FOUR relays..one each for high and low beam in each headlight.
    Here's a website that tells probably more than you needed to know about lighting. One section deals with relays, how to wire them, etc. This is also a great source for the better quality bulbs regardless of the headlight style you choose to run.
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Double post easier than editing...here's a direct link on the why to use realys & how to wire them tech article on the same site.
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thumbs up Headlamp Relays

Harry,
    If you choose to go the relay route, you can usually get away with just burnishing the contact points on your existing dimmer switch assembly, as the current will be much lower after the relays are installed and they will not stick again.
    This operation can be performed with the switch still mounted on the column.
    Disconnect battery
    Remove steering wheel
    Remove upper & lower column covers
    Clean & burnish switch points with emory cloth or a very fine point file
    Install relays in front compartment
    Reinstall column covers, steering wheel
    Reconnect battery
    You should be good to go at this point...pat yourself on the back.
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Bill,

On the way home, I was able to get the low beams working by pushing lightly on the stalk. Once they turned one, they tended to stay on unless I signaled a turn. If I read you post correctly, it may be that my contact points have tarnished and by polishing them, I can restore electrical conductivity. I can then preserve the life of the stalk by installing headlamp relays.

Sure beats buying a $180+ assembly.

Paul,

Yeah, I know but I cannot access Pelican from work.... Oddly, this thread was revived today (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...1#post2226771).

Harry
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Harry,
    Yep, you've got it pretty much. The points are not merely tarnished, but "mini-welded" together on one side, probably high beam. That means that you can manually engage the lows, but the highs stay on.
    Once in a while they will unstick and the highs will go out, but if nothing else changes, they will stick again soon, as the same current is still present...
    Don't buy the switch until all else fails. It's not only expensive and rather difficult to find these days, but it's a HUGE PITA to install.
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa