Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a pretty car!

Smile Jeff

That car is just a delight to look at.Very nice!
    Member:S Registry #864

Someone is going to get a very sweet little car. I have driven a similar 912 with the same engine and it is amazing to see just how well these little cars handle. More like a skate board and so much more "stuck" then a 911S at the limit. Even I can drive it! Of course there is that straight away issue...

What a beautiful car.

I'd love to try one of these with a fully prepped, aluminum Type 1 VW aftermarket case sporting an 86mm crank and 94mm pistons for the type of 2.4L monster you see in the hottest VWs today. These guys are making 220 - 230HP with a motor in this configuration which is still much lighter than a 911 of equivalent displacement. It doesn't wind like a 66mm 6 cylinder screamer, but the torque is supposedly freakish.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

912->911 conversion
    My 912 has a 2.4 L Type IV engine in it - 2.0 crank with 103 mm pistons. It is a lot of fun, and the only place I really lose out to a 911 (never been out with a similar vintage 911 only newer ones) is in a straight line on the top end.

I have a spare Type IV engine in the garage I would like to build into a bigger, better monster.

It did not reach the reserve, but...

it did reach $27,100 as it closed. Done correctly, a 912 can bring some serious bucks. This is a testimate to doing it as Porsche would have if they decided to. If it had a Type 4 motor in it, I bet it would never have reached $20,000.

R-Gruppe has it right. Do what Porsche would have done and it will probably increase the value of a good car. Of course a nice stock 911 or 912 will be plenty valuable and maybe more so then a worked over R style car.

With the look and set-up of that car...Im surprised it did not sell, The crazy pricing these days of T's, this 912 sulrely looked like it should have gotten the asking price. Maybe the bubble is starting to burst?
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Those steel wheels are a GREAT look!! Love 'em!

With this bid result, it seems a *correctly* modified 912 will command a higher price than an original car in the same condition... interesting.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

This may have been a "fishing expedition" to see if he could get a high price. You know, if it sells for 30K...so be it. As he stated, with the knowledge learned, it "could" be built for less next time around...

Still a very nice correctly done car that would be very fun to own.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

I would be hot for this car too, but it's missing the two extra cylinders mine already has. And the Cibie and Tag Heuer decals!

P.S.
    Yeah, I know, I keep telling myself to take those cheap aftermarket foglights off the bumper. But I kinda like em. Plus I don't have to worry about giving them road rash like I would if they were original Hellas!
    Attached Images Attached Images