Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for clear windshield?

Source for clear windshield?

Porsche only carries partially tinted windshields, according to Stoddard. Does anyone know a source for original or aftermarket clear windshields?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom -

when you find a source I am a buyer for one. I have a rear one with no defrost - looking to find a front to match. Thanks. Jim

Heimbachracing@yahoo.com

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    By "partially tinted" I assume you are referring to the tinted band across the top on later cars?

I got a windshield with no tint band through Safelite. The glass was manufactured by Pilkington and came with the later style mirror clip attached (easily removed with heat). I recall it being around $180. It has an etched Pilkington logo which can be covered by a PCA sticker.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Quote Originally Posted by JCR
    By "partially tinted" I assume you are referring to the tinted band across the top on later cars?

I got a windshield with no tint band through Safelite. The glass was manufactured by Pilkington and came with the later style mirror clip attached (easily removed with heat). I recall it being around $180. It has an etched Pilkington logo which can be covered by a PCA sticker.
    Thank you for your response. How long ago did you get this windshield? Did you get it through an auto glass company?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

I am surprised that Stoddard's wasn't able to help more.

Yes, Porsche only carries the later style windshield with the blue tinted band on top.

However, if you are looking for originality, Stoddard's should be able to get tinted or clear Sigla windshields without the nasty blue band.

I got my Sigla tinted one sans blue band there for around $500. Also comes with later style mirror mount that can be easily removed.

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

gents;
    first a point of clarification;
    "tint" is the pale greenish color throughout the windshield.
    "shade" denotes the dark blue / green strip across the top.
    if you're not concerned with originality, i was recently quoted $89 for a U.S. made (PPG) windshield, shaded or not. call your local auto glass company.
    i don't know if "clear" windshields were ever offered by the factory. anyone know ? i went to see a clear windshield locally, but it turned out to be U.S. made. a nice condition vintage piece, but not OEM.
    as a note, you really don't want to ship a windshield. it's a 24 carat PITA not to mention expensive.
    HTH
    best
    jerry

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Note concerning glass color: all glass in common use will have a little bit of a green tint. This green is a result of iron content in the glass. There is glass available now that nearly eliminates iron content, but I would imagine that none would find it's way to automotive use.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.
    Thank you for your response. How long ago did you get this windshield? Did you get it through an auto glass company?
    I got it about 2 years ago. Called Safelite (through their website number) and they coordinated a local delivery (and install if you want them to do it). You'll have to be VERY clear and specific about what you want (no shade band and no antenna wire in glass) and that anything else is unacceptable.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Most 911's were sold without tint (clear) ..
    The green shade throughout was purely "optional" and was called Catacolor by Porsche.
    Non defrosted rear windows were used only on the earliest cars.
    Original Sigla clear front is still available as of 6 months ago. Price was around $500.

Regards, robert.

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911
    Most 911's were sold without tint (clear) ..
    The green shade throughout was purely "optional" and was called Catacolor by Porsche.
    Non defrosted rear windows were used only on the earliest cars.
    Original Sigla clear front is still available as of 6 months ago. Price was around $500.

Regards, robert.
    Robert, I need a clear windshield for my '72S. Where did you order it from?
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187