Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to sell

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Best way to sell

I have concluded that the best way to sell a Porsche is not on Ebay or on a club registry because with both of these your car is compared against dozens of others and the buyers have to include shipping costs. However, if you sell locally your car may be the only one of its type in the area, have not local competition, and is cheaper for the buyer because of the absence of shipping costs. Through experience I have found it easier, faster, and easier to get the asking price when emphasizing the local approach.

don
    1963 356B Super
    1969 911S
    1981 911 SC

I think the local approach depends on where you live. Around here, I doubt there are more than a handful of people within a 75 mile radius who could even identify my 911. i.e., earlier this year, somebody was checking my car out at the gas station and says, "what is that? a Tanga?" .....

so, did you sell one of 'em?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Nothing instills a sense of urgency in a buyer like an auction. Personally I'd rather answer 50 emails than spend a weekend talking to tire kickers. Really nice stuff sells itself, but Ebay is the place for projects - I'm continually amazed.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    Unless you live in Southern California, there are probably fewer 'local' people interested in your Early 911 than you might think. If you are selling and hope to get the most for your car I think you have to advertise it at least nationally, if not internationally to reach a broad enough market of people that are truly intersted and ready to purchase one of these cars.

I would never attempt to sell one of my cars on ebay; I think people with real money prefer a more sophisticated/personal approach. There are good automobile brokers that will market your car nationally or internationally and if you own a valuable, collectable car this is a viable approach, if you find or know a reputable broker.

I've had very good success working with Brian Peters of Motoring Investments www.motoringinvestments.com . He is extremely honest, knowledgeable and, from my experience, a guy you can really trust to help you buy or sell a good collectable car. I only say this because of the truly good experiences I have had with him.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Curt said it well. Me? Try to sell my car in Lebanon, Oregon? A town where I get more compliments on my repainted/rebuilt '77 Dodge power wagon than I do on the 911? Gimme a break! The locals don't have a clue what my '72S is... As far as selling itself goes? Let's say somebody is crazy enough to offer for my mostly original car what a pretty well restored one went for in Germany, North of $100K USA. If I took it, capital gains taxes, plus being bumped into a higher tax bracket, would cost me $40K of that. Financially, I'm better off giving the car to somebody through my will. Either that or having it sent through a crusher once I become too old & infirm to drive.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I recently (5 months ago) sold my 67S Targa on eBay for $23,600, with less than $100 in fees. The auction generated interest from Japan, Italy, Belguim, and Germany as well as many calls and emails from the states. I included my phone number so anyone with interest could call and talk to me personally. I took many pictures for folks of what they specifically wanted to see. Before listing it on eBay, in the big state of Idaho I had someone offer me $4,000 for it.... Shipping was easy, they just hired a company to come and pick it up. eBay sure worked great for me, just a busy 10 days of emails and phone calls, even had one guy come from out of state and personally check out the car. Sure I maybe could have sold the car for more some other way, but this method was easy and productive.

Rick
    1967S Targa SOLD

Live Auctions

Anyone have any experience with live auctions like Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale? I attended last year and saw mostly American muscle cars at that one, with one 73RS going for about 90k. Could an Early 911S bring good market value there or at a similar venue?
    Ron Wiser, Member #703
    Looking for trans 7190114

dh...

you have not said what you're selling...but, if you're selling your S, why not sell it here ??

if you're selling your other cars, Ebay is the most potent. The more tyre kickers, better !!

good luck

Frankly i would rather buy a car from a fellow member, here, i would know that the car to start off, would be good, also very important the person selling it, gives you a clue of how the car is. Now if its a member, but happens to be in the trade of selling classiks, also fine it knid of give you more of a safety net on buying. My 2 cnts