Thread: Engine lowered but can't pull away

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Engine lowered but can't pull away

I am removing the engine/tranny together and am using a jack adapter to balance the engine/tranny. I have removed the 4 bolt hold the rear axles to the tranny but even with them out the tranny and axles are staying together making it impossible to pull the engine/tranny away from the car. What should I do now?

don

You need someone like me on your cell phone redial....

Anyhow that said - you need to seperate the half-shafts from the tranny.

How?

At this point you need to use a relatively thin flat head screw driver or a fairly rigid gasket scrapper.... place either one right where the gasket sits inbetween the half shaft and the tranny output shaft.....

.... now, judiciously tap into that crevice even using a light hammer to drive that screw driver in..... being carefull not to damage the mating surfaces - kill the gasket makes no difference.... neither does minor scratches to the metal.

.... once you get a little bite go ahead and reach over and grab the tire and rotate ~ 180 degrees and tap at another section.... working your way around... it will split nicely no worries....

.... pm if you want my cell throughout this project....

later

4|3X

Don..

With the four bolts out of the axle to tranny flange you should be able to separate them. They do get stuck together pretty tight...get a flat screw driver or pry bar and try to pry them apart....may take some use of a rubber hammer to get it in the area where the gasket is....this will destroy the gasket but I always use a new to install it back together. I sometimes take an old knife and tap into the gasket to get it started....do one side of the flange and then the other to keep it even. It will come apart. Once apart...get some plastic bags and cover the axle and support it with some bungees....this helps to keep the grease off of you. Good luck!

John

As RussianBlue said...you may call me as well...

patience and make sure all the bolts are removed from the axel. Easiest with the wheels off. They should remove with a slight tapping and keep a plastic bag handy for wrapping them in to keep them clean.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Thanks! Its out. Yeaaaaaa! Gee I hope I can get it back in eventually. I will send you a pm for your cell soon. For now, do you think I need a Porsche engine yoke as rec'd by Wayne?

don
    1963 356B Super
    1969 911S (engine out)
    1981 911 SC

PS: I live in the Philly, Pa area, is there anyone in this area who has experience dropping and rebuilding a 911 engine? If so let me know please. My email is: dhopkins@temple.edu

yes.

You do need the P-Car specialtiy tools....

Go to the Pelican PA regional forums and start asking around for help...

Also there is a great mechanic out there that several people use.... including some pretty big wig p-car owners.

Ask "Lusso" David B. on that forum for the info.