Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Marelli twin plug cap?

Help with Marelli twin plug cap?

I bought this Marelli twin plug cap for a client of mine. It was said to be for a 2.8 RSR but it is different than the correct examples I have here.

Can anyone tell from the picture what it might be for?

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ooops....I forgot....it's the newer looking one on the right...

Thanks,
    Aaron

Marelli caps.

Hello: If the coil plug-in boses are different heights then you have a Jaguar cap from a 80's v12. I see these for sale alot and unknowing people buy them since they are told it is for a Porsche. Look on e-bay under Marelli and you will see they sell these caps. You can get a reproduction cap from Andial I think. Good luck in your search. Thanks Eric

As Eric hinted above - the cap on the right is for a V12 Jaguar XJS.

Unfortunately many buyers are being hoodwinked into thinking they've stumbled across a NOS Marelli twin-plug cap for Porsche fitment when in reality they are being sold the Jaguar cap which can be bought 'off the shelf' fairly readily for under $200.

Here is a typically misleading ebay ad for a Jaguar Marelli cap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Will the Jag cap work on the Porsche distributor?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Marelli distributor

Hello: The Jag cap will not work with the Porsche Marelli distributor. It uses a different rotor that will not fit the Porsche distributor. The Marelli cap that fits will also fit a Ferrari and a Lambrogeni (bad spelling I know) Muira I think. Someone is making a Porsche repro Marelli using the Jag cap and rotor. You can find the Jag tune up kits with plugs,cap,rotor and wires for about $180 on e-bay sometimes. Please pass this info along to stop the misinformation. Thanks Eric

Thanks guys....live and learn I guess. This one hurts a little though.

Aaron.

Talk to Supertec...they are making adapter rotors to work with Jag V12 caps.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Supertec does have a rotor that will allow the Jaguar cap to fit a Porsche Marelli dist. It is a stellar piece of art work made by BurnBros by a very expensive injection process.
    It is in fact a better design than the original and they are very affordable.
    BE AWARE that not all Jaguar caps are made by Marelli. Some like some sold on Ebay are made in England by a company called Intermotors and that cap is a dismal piece of ****. You can buy that cap from Kragen for around $90.
    Henry Schmidt
    SUPERTEC PERFORMANCE
    445 Golden Road
    Fallbrook, Ca. 92028
    Ph: 760-728-3062
    Fax: 760-728-3063
    Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
    Web: supertecperformance.com

Henry.....the cap I got is a Marelli but the owner doesn't want to use it because it's not the correct type for his RSR.

The guys I got it from aren't willing to give my money back......so what's this thing worth?

Still living......still learning......
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc