Thread: Hub Removal Tool?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Hub Removal Tool?

In order to rebuild 1st gear Wayne recommends using a special hub removal tool. However Tony's web site (http://mysite.verizon.net/res890fb/) says it is not needed. Who is correct?

Scope Creep Poster Child
    You need the tool if you plan to reuse the hub. Also, in the absence of the tool, more care is required to avoid damaging the gear. I'm going to give it a go without the tool, as I'm replacing the hub anyway.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Are you replacing the synchro ring and the slider? Are you doing 1st gear? How are you taking off the 32mm nut?

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Don-
    I'm replacing the synchro ring and synchro hub, but not the slider (although I wish I could). I removed the 32mm nut by clamping an unusable first gear in a vice and inserting the input shaft in the gear. Using a VERY good crescent wrench (snap-on) and making sure that I had the wrench on the nut with the adjustable side acting on the proper side of the nut. It was not easy, but it came off without rounding any of the edges. I think that I will remove the first gear synchro hub by careful grinding with a dremel. I'll start at the slot that locates the brake bands and cut a channel across the hub.

I assembled the input shaft yesterday. I'm still waiting for my simplified differential upgrade parts. Does yours have the modification?
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

What tool is needed to remove the synchro rings? I don't understand what you mean by the modification? What is it? How would I know if I have it?

don

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Don-
    All you need to remove synchro rings is a pair of snap ring pliers. As for the differential modifcation, take a look at the Pelican site. Do a search using the term "Simplified Differential" and you will quickly see some excellent threads on the subject, including graphic results from the failure that can occur with the unmodified diff. If you remove the bolts that secure the output flanges you can determine if yours needs modification. The unmodified diffs use bolts with nubs on the end that retain the axle that the differential gears turn on. These nubs wear, allowing the axle to be thrown into the gearbox case, resulting in instant locking of the rear wheels, and likely destruction of the gearbox case.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Don, the snap ring pliers need to be heavy duty to release the lock ring. After suffering with smaller ones I ended up buying Snap On 10" number PRC65. Worked great. Also, I used a tie wrap to pinch the syncro together during reassembly. Worked well.

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

Thanks, but those pliers are over $50 while Pelican has pliers for about $20. Also, EBS Racing sells an improved design synchro rings. Anybody know if they are really better?

Don