Thread: '67S Raised Hub Steering Wheel

'67S Raised Hub Steering Wheel

Hello -

My '67 S has the standard 400 mm leather wheel.

My understanding is that a raised hub wheel was, but no longer is, available thru the aftermarket. It also appears the hub and wheel are a riveted assembly intended to be changed together....thus making the installation of a thicker hub / adapter challenging.

I don't want to do anything irreversible to my existing wheel/hub assy, so the car can be easily returned to 100% stock / original condition.

I'm primarily interested in raising the wheel for more leg room. But, as long as the wheel must change too, a smaller diameter wheel, or even a little thicker rim, would be nice too. Otherwise, it would be desireable for any replacement to look similar to the stock wheel i.e. 'period correct'.

Has anyone ever been down this path before?

Are there any options as far as other Porsche wheels that would fit the '67 steering column? Has anyone replaced the rivets holding the wheel onto the hub?

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

Bob, I have a raised hub wheel in mine. I looked at it and I'm sure you could drill the rivets and change hubs. But I'd look for a complete wheel that could be restored, rather than chopping two up. It will be worth it though, I have long legs and the driving position is perfect for me with the raised hub. Personally I like the vintage feel and look of the big, skinny wheel. I wouldn't have it in a hotrod, but these are the details that make old cars so charming. Regards, Tom
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Hub spacer

Bob,
    I need the extra leg room and could no longer finr a hub so I had some made. You will destroy the origional rivets so it is a good time to go to a spare wheel. I would use a 914 plastic and wrap it. My 912 uses a bare plastic wheel with a standard spacer and my 911 uses a 914 cushon wheel with a 45mm expiremental spacer, both are great to drive. I'll look for my machining bill and see what I paid-if you are enterested.
    H

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Bob-
    I made a aluminum 1/2" spacer for the 914 wheel I am installing in my 911. I replaced the rivets with stainless screws. I'd set aside your original wheel and go to the 380mm 914 wheel. I'd be happy to send some photos if you'd like.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Hub

Bob,
    I forgot to tell you the size of the spacers that I made.
    I made mine the same as the factory (30mm) so I could use the factory horn contact.
    H

Raised Hub

Gents -
    Thanks for all the great input!!

A 380 mm diameter wheel sounds just right. Scott, I'd appreciate if you could post some any photos. (You could also Email to me @ '' if you'd like.)

I assume the 914 wheel has a similar hub arrangement to the 911? Does the 914 hub fit the early 911 steering column?? Or would I need a bare early 911 hub to mount to the 914 wheel with spacers?

Harvey, I like your advice to use the factory 30 mm spacer thickness to enable use of the factory contact. I'm curious about the 914 'cushion' wheel...is that a factory wheel with a cushioned rim or an aftermarket part? I have a buddy with some machine shop capabilities, so I think I'm o.k. there.....

I guess if I insist on retaining a stock 911S appearance, I have to stick with a putting spacers between a 911S wheel and hub, right? (a 'spare' so as not to chop up my original wheel.)

Best regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Schaefer; 11-15-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Removed Email address
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

Extended hub

Bob,
    The cushion wheel is what I call the optional imitation leather wheel like the ones on the T but 380 instead of 400. Most 914 wheels require some turn signal mods but when you compare the backs it explains itself.
    H

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Bob-
    Here is what I did. First photo shows the spacers I made. I used 1/4" aluminum, and made two. I did this because I thought it would be easier than dealing with a 1/2" thick piece of material. I made these using my $80 Harbor Freight drill press as a lathe. The second shows the hub in conjunction with the early style horn button. The third shows the horn button retaining ring and the PVC pipe spacer I made to serve as a seat for the horn button spring. I extended the contact botton with a brass tube. Note the machine screws and nuts that have replaced the rivets of the original hub. Last, the whole deal. Let me know if I can tell you more.
    -Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab