Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with the ESSES

Exclamation Help with the ESSES

The club needs help in the compositing and possibly the printing of our first issue of the ESSES for the coming year.

The person that has been doing this for the the club has been charging us about half of what it cost for anyone else and his time is staring to get limited... So, it's either pay full boat, which we can't do , or try to find another resource.

Ideally, we would like to find a club member that would help us out in their 'free' time like Ted Mumm did in the past. As far as the printing goes, we can possibly stay with who we have.

There's lots of options...
    Go with a more financially friendly professional service that does the printing as well. Have someone do the compositing for us and then send it to our printer.......... or what ever.

I thought I'd start with our own resource, our own
    Early 911S Registry Message board's Mighty 1700......

So please, if you have a business, a friend in the field, or have the time and know how to help us on your own, PLEASE contact me ... and I in turn we let our editor, John Dilger, know right away....

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Ok

PM SENT! Check your box. thanks

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Chuck,

Hugh and I set the Australian TYP901 Register newsletter up in Publisher and then convert it to a PDF and send it to our printer electronically. It's a bit of work, but we get it looking just how we want it and I have set some templates up to make the job easier. I put the lot in; pics and all as a finished product and convert it to a press quality PDF.

It really keeps the cost down to printing and saddle-stitching only. We are paying a fraction of what it would cost if we handed the layout over to the printer as well. We do the stuffing of envelopes and address labelling as well...for your numbers a team sitting around a table for a couple of hours would achieve this easily .

As much as I would like to stick my hand up to help I can't take on anymore at the moment...but I am sure there would be a lot of guys on this board who can do this in the same way we have done.

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

I've sent a PM.

Also had a thought--is it absolutely necessary to publish a printed version of the Esses? You could just email or make available for download a PDF version.

I'm certainly not advocating this as I (as a magazine publisher) do advocate the look and feel of the paper product in the hand, but I am throwing it out there as an option for discussion at least.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Steve,

I think it is important to have a hard copy version that is mailed out. Some members don't like computers, don't have email, don't read their email etc.
    Also, it's much nicer and easier to have a hardcopy that you can pick up and read a bit of and then come back to later. Most importantly, it's a great tool for the Register as we members can have it handy to show to non-members and interested parties as a hard copy.

If it can be done as we are doing ours down here by cluey members helping with the layout, the costs would be kept to a minimum as you would well know given your profession .

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Lisa,

I totally agree with you. My livelihood is somewhat dependent on people still wanting "real" magazines, though in the real world the advertisers are now all about online--witness Google and Yahoo's constant stock price run up.

Personally I am a magazine junkie and will take the paper over an image on screen any time, whether its a club newsletter or a high end glossy mag.

I've already PM'ed Chuck with the help I'm able to provide and will be happy to get involved in the Esses production somehow. Plus I'm in the neighborhood as are the resources available to me.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

That's fantastic Steve ,

I am sure you will have great ideas to share with Chuck and John as to how to do this better and cheaper with less work for John too .

And FWIW, I much prefer reading a hardcopy too...like I want to spend any more time staring at a PC screen than I already do !

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

MUST have a hard copy!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell
    MUST have a hard copy!!!!!!!
    I gave my last one to a friend of mine and p-cars in general. I doubt he would have read the online version even if I printed it out for him. He also doesn't use computers as about half of my age friends don't. (I'm 60)

Gotta love Tom's diatribes. But Tom, if you had put 20K in Google stock a year and 2 months ago, you could cash out now and buy an RS, taxes notwithstanding. You tell me, now, is that 1's and 0's? Yeah, it is, a 1 followed by five zeros. Whoooahh!!

I like a printed version and I think the format is very nice, even if a triffle expensive. I would happily accept a newsprint version ala the Trader mags. But, it's been 1st class since I've been on board and I'd like to say thanks to all involved up to this point and to those that step up to help in the future.

Hard copy

As Milt said above, there are many who don't use the internet. I have learned! I have only been at the key board for 6 years. For the past 5 years I stopped buying Hemmings Motors News. I felt it was outed dated and stone aged news. WRONG !! There are many who don't know what a computer is. Like many of the old timers who bought 356's and early 911's new. (no Frank I'm not talking about you!) They would probably use Hemmings as to the internet. I missed a great one owner 911 a couple years ago.
    My ESSES came last night. It was a great bedtime read. All the reading was great. It's nice to see Chuck as a regular contributor. I came on board as a contributing editor in 96/97, and only failed to make a contribution a few times. ( Like this issue!) Lee Rice has a great deal of quailty knowledge. He is not one of the guys on the net here, but I love to read his stuff. A lot to be learned by all. Also, there seems to be contributors who come out of the woods and make a nice contribution. Again, good reading. With on line banking, bill paying, and everthing under the sun available on line, it's breath of fresh air to pick up a copy of ESSES. If all magazines went on line only, there would be a pretty blank 75 foot wall at Barnes and Noble!