Thread: Attention Vintage Racers & Enthusiasts - Continental Historics Racing Association

Attention Vintage Racers & Enthusiasts - Continental Historics Racing Association

Fellow racers and enthusiasts, the CHRA (Continental Historics Racing Association) have just announced 2 awesome upcoming events.

First one is at Daytona (in April) and the next at Mosport (in August).

I participated on their inaugural event at Homestead earlier this year and was very impressed with the organization, race schedules and overall track time. They are spectator friendly so come in and see the "rolling museum"...

Hope to see some of you there. Following are extracts of the press releases just issued and further details can be obtained at www.chra.cc

Cheers, Juan

-------
    CHRA to Daytona in 2006

Tampa, FL (December 6, 2005) CHRA is pleased to announce the organizations first racing event for 2006 will be at historic Daytona International Speedway. The dates for CHRA’s inaugural visit to the “World Center of Racing” are April 14-16, 2006.

“The history surrounding racing at Daytona International Speedway is second to none. We started dialogue with the tracks management back in March and are excited to finally be able to announce the event. We are looking for it to be a cornerstone event for our new organization.” noted Tim Pendergast, Director of Operations and Promotions for CHRA. “When thinking up a name for our new group, we wanted to pay homage to sports car racing and its history. The first world championship races held in the early 1960’s were known as the Daytona Continental Races, which is where we got the idea for calling our organization Continental Historic Racing Association. It is great that we will host an event at the track that contributed to our name.”

As Daytona is synonymous with sports car endurance racing, there will be two two-hour endurance races at the event. The format of the endurance races will have them run in two heats, with one hour being run on Saturday and the second hour being run on Sunday. The Tourist Trophy Enduro is for older, vintage cars, while the Continental Enduro is for newer, historic cars. The three day schedule will also include practice sessions on Friday, qualifying on Saturday morning and sprint races on Sunday.

Competitor entrant information will be available on the new CHRA website @ www.chra.cc which will launch next Monday, December 12. This event will be open to spectators, with CHRA selling tickets at event registration. Any questions can be forwarded to us at: info@chra.cc.

--------
    CHRA to Mosport in 2006

Tampa, FL (December 8, 2005) CHRA (Continental Historic Racing Association) is excited to announce the second event on the organizations 2006 race schedule will be at Mosport International Raceway, in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada. The dates for the new event are August 3-6, 2006.

This new event, the Mosport Historics, will be the first time a United States based historic racing organization will venture north of the border. “Mosport has more racing history than almost any other racing circuit in North America. Every major racing series has raced there, including: Can Am, F-1, Indy Cars, IMSA, ALMS, WSPC Group C, Trans Am, Formula Atlantic, F-5000, NASCAR and Super Bikes. To be included in with that group of racing series is an honor for a new organization such as ours.” said Tim Pendergast, Director of operations and Promotions for CHRA.

“Mosport oozes history. All of the greats have raced there: McLaren, Stewart, Moss, Foyt, Hulme, Holbert, Revson, Kristensen, Andretti and Unser in cars from Tyrell, Porsche, Ferrari, March, Lola, McLaren, Brabham, Lotus and Jaguar, to name but a few. Putting on an event at Mosport is a wonderful opportunity for CHRA and our competitors. We are excited at the prospect of what this event can become and look forward to bringing back a number of historic cars the Mosport fans have not had an opportunity to see since they raced here originally.” noted Pendergast.

“Next season is Mosport’s 45th anniversary, so we’re thrilled to be adding a major historic race event weekend to our schedule to help celebrate this milestone,” said Myles Brandt, Mosport’s President and General Manager. “Historic racing has a strong following at Mosport. As Canada’s Home of Motorsports, we’re looking forward to hosting the CHRA’s first-ever Canadian event and staging a memorable race weekend for our fans.”

The Mosport Historics will be a four day vintage/historic racing event. Thursday, August 3rd, will be a test day, with practice on Friday, qualifying and enduro races on Saturday and the feature trophy races will be on Sunday, August 6th. As of this writing, the feature for the weekend is still being finalized, though an announcement is expected soon. CHRA and Mosport are working together to bring a feature that will be exciting for the fans and competitors, as well as being historically significant to the track.

CHRA (Continental Historic Racing Association) is a new historic race sanctioning body. The focus is to professionally manage and promote safe and competitive historic racing events at historically significant racing circuits in the eastern United States and Canada. The cars that compete with CHRA include those that competed in both amateur and professional races prior to January 1, 2000 and include cars from: IMSA GTP and WSC, Trans Am, CART, IMSA GT, Group C, FIA, Can Am, NASCAR, F-1, F-5000 and Formula Atlantic, as well as many forms of amateur racing in the 1950’s and 1960’s
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Just a reminder. These events are coming up. If you are a fan of vintage race cars, these are a must attend......

Go to : www.chra.cc/cms/ for updated information.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

race preparation

Thanks for the information Im putting this down on my calendar! Just hoping my race preparation is done in time

Getting back from Daytona. Great weekend with tons of track time. A lot of guys decided to stay home for the holiday (and tax day…) and missed a great weekend.

Weather was awesome and track time was plentiful. Practice on Friday was a 1:20 session. Ran a handicapped race on Friday plus two 1-hour enduro’s and a sprint race on Saturday.

On Saturday CHRA hosted a group of children from Nathaniel’s Hope (a charitable organization for children with special needs and their families - www.nathanielshope.org/ ). This was the highlight of the event as we had a lot of kids come around looking at the cars, talking to us, getting autographs and having pictures taken with us and the cars. I’m sure we gave them great memories and they gave us sincere smiles, a good time and a warm feeling.

Kudos to Tim and the rest of the Pendergast family, Steve Kibble and to CHRA’s team for allowing us this opportunity.

I finished first in class (only 4-5 cars on the class…) on the enduro’s and on the sprint race but did not finish the handicapped race as I spun out and could not restart due to a faulty alternator.

Photos will follow later (if I can find some).
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Or we will will see them in Vintage Racecar and Vintage Motorsport - lookin forward to them.
    That new engine held up nicely it seems - now about that spin ? ...

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Hey John,

New engine is awesome !!! The spin, I was approaching the last infield turn before the banking when the Audi R8 of Jim Rogers/Bill Adam caught up to me (quite fast I might add).

As I tried to adjust my line to give him some space, I got "a bit sideways" and spun. Bill Adam put the binders hard and stopped parallel to me and perhaps 12 inches from my car. We exchanged glances, he backed up and continued on to win the race but I could not restart due to my faulty alternator.

I have video which I'm hoping my PC can render to WinMedia without burning up. When ready, I'll post it at Trackdaymedia.com (unless you guys have another suggestion).

Any recommendations on software to convert MiniDV to WinMedia or QTime? My software is veeery slow.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Juan:

Did you ever find a copy of that Victory Lane magazine you were looking for?
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Hey Steve, I did get it. I renewed my subscription and asked them for the back issue. See below:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Guys,

I just prepared a video of a lap around Daytona during last week's Continental Historics. Its only one lap out the first 1 hour enduro (the compelte video is many megabytes long..).

I've tried to upload to Trackdaymedia as in the past but the site is not responding. Where can I post it for you guys to see (if interested)?

Cheers, Juan
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion