Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Portland Parade Historic Car Display

2006 Portland Parade Historic Car Display

Hi Guys,

I was recently recruited to put together the Historic Display for the Portland Porsche Parade, August 6-11, 2006. I was talking to Dirk Layer last week about possibly finding a theme for the event and he suggested something around the Targa Florio. Not only is it the 100th anniversary of the Targa but it is also the 50th anniversary of Porsches first victory there. I know we have at least two winning cars in the U.S. but we were wondering how many others there might be. We need help and I thought this Board would be a good place to ask for it. If anyone knows of a car that has Targa history we would really appreciate hearing about it. These Historic Car Displays are always a collaborative effort and any help is appreciated. If we can not find enough cars to do it and do it well, we will move on but we are hoping we can.
    The Historic Display would not be devoted to the Targa Florio exclusively,
    so if you know of someone who has a "special" car who might like to display it,
    please let me know. As an incentive, we will have three track days to run our
    cars. As many of you know, PIR is a great road course and always fun.
    Many thanks!

Mark Heininge

Historic Display

I will be entering my 1964 911, serial number 300221, build date 12/22/64 in the Portland Concours. Skip Shirley is in the process of a complete restoration, which we are scheduling to be ready for Portland. If this car would be of interest to your display, we would be happy to make this car available. Thanks
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

I won't be there, so give Eade my place, okay?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Oh, wait...my car was never in the Targa Florio.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks Eade. I will send you a PM.

Mark

My car has no Targa Florio pedigree either, but--it is a 90-point replica of the Martini Porsche RSR that won the race in 1973. I may have a schedule conflict the week of Aug 6; if not, I would love to go to Portland! Here are a couple of photos to whet your appatite--pease keep me posted if interested
    Attachment 15425
    Attachment 15426
    Attachment 15427
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Jim Calzia
    Early 911S Registry #51
    Former R Gruppe #41, now excommunicated

Jim -what happened to the light wt. purple car?

And what happened with the Rgruppe excommunication?

Randy: That is the lightweight purple car--I just repainted it for vintage racing! Also, I did not go to enough RGruppe Meetings at EASY, so I was invited not to re-up
    Jim Calzia
    Early 911S Registry #51

Let me modify that last post. My RSR replica does have a 3.0L hi-butterfly twin plug engine with poor-man's 917 brakes (fronts from dp Motorsports in Germany; rears from the front of a 930). Other than the obvious changes, it is the same car tha weighs 1850 lbs (with 5 gal of gas) and goes like hell!
    Jim Calzia
    Early 911S Registry #51

Thanks Jim - glad the car is still around -- maybe the silver paint is lighter than the purple??

Rgruppe got snotty with me too, but hasn't kicked me out yet...

You could start up a new gruppe - the XR gruppe.