Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys, real world valuation please: '72T

Guys, real world valuation please: '72T

I saw this car on ebay, here is the item description:

"We are selling this car for a customer. This is a very original unmolested 1972 Porsche 911T coupe. The color is Gemini Blue Metallic with a brown interior. The car is equipped with a five speed transmission, correct 6X15 Fuchs alloy wheels, appearance group and rear collision bar. All of these were installed at the factory and are attested to on the window sticker which is included with the sale of the car. Also included is the original invoice from the dealer to the original owner. The car was sold new by Joe Heishmans Porsche Audi in Arlington, VA on May 9th, 1972. All of the service records are included with the car. They start on July 1st, 1972. Air conditioning is listed on the invoice as a dealer installed option, however the compressor is no longer installed or included with the sale of the car. The dashboard is cracked and the headliner is in poor condition. There is wear on the outer edge of the drivers backrest. The repaint done some time ago is of driver quality with some minor flaws. It currently has a working Blaupunkt Malibu AM/FM/Cassette radio installed. The engine has the updated Turbo lower valve covers. Also included with the car is the original tool kit and jack. This is a wonderful original example of a fast appreciating early 911T. This is not a show car. The complete service records, invoice, and window sticker only add to the value. Due to the age of the car, it is being sold as is, as shown..."

Item # 4596508853

Attempted link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I realize the seller claims this car is "no rust," and I've contacted him regarding if I can choose not to buy the car if I find rust after winning the auction. He didn't seem so hot on the idea... but if he said "no rust" he shouldn't have had anything to worry about. Assuming the car was no rust, what would be a proper value to pay on ebay?

The car is reasonably local (as in this part of the country), but I don't see to many nice early cars go through the area in my budget, so even though I'm not a big fan of a T in gemini blue, I have to live with whats out here. I would inspect the car prior to bidding, but it's 2.5 hours away from here at least, and I'm stuck at school until after the auction is over.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

It is very difficult to make generalizations about the value of these cars, it all come down to originality and condition. I would not buy any car w/o some sort of inspection, especially on ebay. Contray to what anyones says if car is not as it represented in ad you don't buy it's really that simple. If you going to make a substanial investment in a nice car buy what you want don't just settle for what's close.
    Phil

Interesting car...

I imagine that coming to fair valuation for a car on ebay must be tough but perhaps you experts out there can answer these questions with some rough estimates:

What do you think a well done repaint would cost?

How much do you think it would cost to restore A/C to this car?

The ad mentioned that the headliner was in poor shape and the dash was cracked. Any ballpark estimates on what it might cost to remedy these two issues?

The ad also mentioned that it had "Turbo lower valve covers." Is this good or bad? If bad, is it reversable? How much to reverse it?

That's a lot of questions, I know. Any help is much appreciated.

Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by jcarpio
    I imagine that coming to fair valuation for a car on ebay must be tough but perhaps you experts out there can answer these questions with some rough estimates:

What do you think a well done repaint would cost?

How much do you think it would cost to restore A/C to this car?

The ad mentioned that the headliner was in poor shape and the dash was cracked. Any ballpark estimates on what it might cost to remedy these two issues?

The ad also mentioned that it had "Turbo lower valve covers." Is this good or bad? If bad, is it reversable? How much to reverse it?

That's a lot of questions, I know. Any help is much appreciated.

Jorge

-figure $8000 and up (way up) for the repaint
    -probably $1000-$2500 for the AC (depending on how well you want it to work)
    -headliner $150 plus labor (several hours)
    -dash $1000 plus labor (several hours)
    -Turbo valve covers are generally accepted to hold their shape better & be less leak prone than the stock ones. If you're really going to be a stickler for originality you probably sell the turbo versions for more than it would cost to buy the originals. About 20 minutes to replace (do it when changing oil).
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

Of the Ts I think it's the one to have, MFI and the cool oil system.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

I thought it was interesting that the "rear collision bar" (still on the car) was factory-installed...I always thought it was only an aftermarket item (from Amco)...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Pete its the single bar which was factory installed. Your thinking of the double bar which is aftermarket and was made by AMCO. Jim
    Early 911S Registry #161

Learn something new every day...thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

I see this sold for 14.6, seems like a very good deal considering prices of late. Did you get it?
    Tom