Thread: Detecting Fake early S

Detecting Fake early S

With the advent of the spiraling prices of the early "S" cars I know of instances where persons have purchased total S wrecks and used the vin plates etc as donors to a T or the like and then of course they are titled as S. (formerly a T).

What portions of the car can be examined to determine if indeed this has occured ?

Cheers,
    David

What to look for comes from lots of experience.. It's one reason why people hire Jeff Smith and myself to fly worldwide to prepurchase inspect early cars.

REGARDS, ROBERT GROSS

All I know is that you need to check all the VINs and the crayoned on numbers in various places that are hard to get to.

From a practical view, it is hard to make a case that an S or RS that has been badly wrecked and rebuilt with new bodywork and parts is any more "pure" than one rebuilt with "used" body work from another car that is parted out. I think this argument goes toward a discussion of whether "production equipment" made on an assembly line is like a work of unique art that is so pure that the method of repairing brings into question whether it can still be identified with its original S/N. Does a very skilled craftsman who makes use of used body parts NOT deserve to identify his work with the original S/N, as compared to a hack who buys all new parts but butchers it in assembly?

I think the "fake" issue in this case relates more to legal issues involving stolen cars or people trying to perpetrate a fraud by using a S/N for a car that belongs to someone else. The quality of a "restoration" is something else entirely.

Gib Bosworth
    R Gruppe #18
    Early S Reg #434

As we all know what makes an S an S is much more than it's VIN. I think the sum of the pieces required to make a decent copy would prevent one from reaping much of a profit. Re-bodying a very rusty, or severely damaged car might be another story.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv
    As we all know what makes an S an S is much more than it's VIN. I think the sum of the pieces required to make a decent copy would prevent one from reaping much of a profit. Re-bodying a very rusty, or severely damaged car might be another story.
    Would this be worth it?

http://www.germanautodismantlers.com...m=27&mitem=177
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I justed called them on that car, as I could use the engine. They said that ad came out of their photo archives, and it was sold loooong ago.

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100