Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question

Dumb question

Looking around the www.911e.org ...

What is the difference between a "Coupe" and a "Karmann Coupe"?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

A (Porsche) Coupe is assembled in the (former) Reutter plant.

Richard

I have never heard of any physical difference between the bodies, they are identical except for the number and location of manufacture.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

No actually there are many differences that are detailed throughout the factory manuals. Karmann coupes are somewhat inferior in quality to the factory supplied tubs.

Were the SR coupes produced at Karmann or at the Porsche/ Reutter plant as well? Same question for Targas.

Just wondering.

Richard

I think only coupes even with sunroofs. Karmann never produced an S on no longer supplied an E after 70. By 72 all cars where factory. This is off the top of my head.

My 70S is a Karmann coupe. Would be interested in the documentation suggesting that they are somehow inferior to the factory assembled.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

May be it's good to know first in which respect the 911 Karmann bodied cars are inferior to the Reutter counterpart? Were they for instance welded different?

FWIW, rumor is that the 356 Roadsters that were built in Belgium were inferior as well. More sheet metal problems but I do not know the details.

Richard

I hate to question anything that Herr S comments on as I am not that experienced, but it is hard to belive that Porsche would allow a supplier to produce an inferior product. It would be harder to belive that they would admit to it.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

If you look in the service manual under the body section and read it all, you will make the same conclusion. In addition S bodies were never supplied by Karmann. I have done some work on Karmann cars involving body work, ext. and I have noticed the differences.