Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Christmas Story RS #197

A Christmas Story RS #197

I have to share my Christmas experience with this group. You are the only people in the world that would truly appreciate it.

It all started on Dec. 12th when Jeff Smith called me about Rob Wolfords #197 RS. I was excited. I made the decision to wait until the middle of January to make up my mind on the car. I had some loose ends to tie up. Smith told me it would never last that long, I replied if it sells it sells.

Christmas party the next weekend was a display of stories and pictures of all kinds of 911's. RSR'S RS'S R'S what a display Smith had to offer. We all surfed with glee until wee hours of the night.

Much to my dismay my wife was popping off about how ridiculous it would be to spend that much money on an old car. She had plenty to drink and I was a little embarrassed by her actions. She gave no regard to the seriousness of the conversation.

Monday morning came, the phone rang, Smith on the other line. Wolfords car sold. You snoozed you lost. You will never find another like it. You’re an idiot. You might as well move on to a 993 RS, the originals are impossible to find, at any price.

Licking my wounds I told my Wife that the car was gone, she had no more worries about the ridiculous purchase. Two weeks before I just purchased Howard's 73 2.7 hotrod. She made it very clear that 5 porches were plenty.

This A.M. my wife asked me what time it was. She has never asked me what time it was, ever; she has no concept of time? ........ I walked into the bathroom with the latest issue of Excellence, sat down and heard a wonderful sound coming down the street. I finished my reading and, noticed that everyone in the house was gone, the door to the garage was open, Guess what.........Tom and Cam delivered #197 to my front door.

The phone rang twice, Fist Smith with that smart-ass laugh, then Barrett ready for a speed run.

The funny thing is Tom and Cam also delivered a Pristine 71 280 SL for my wife the night before, She woke up to it in the garage. I think we are crazy; At least this Christmas will go down as one to remember.

What a shock, what a Wife.

Neither will ever be sold at any price.

Merry Christmas to all,

what a nice ending, congrats on the gift.
    A Pic would be good of both cars

Thanks

I was so caught up in the moment that I forgot to give thanks for those you lended a hand:

Jeff Smith, how many guys can talk your Wife into an RS at a dinner party, inspect the car, secure the transactoin, and deliver it in 10 days on Christmas.

Tom and Cam Fender, made 2 unwanted trips to Salem. With his brother trying to keep pace in the return car. Storage in his shop, This probably ment that his 67 s had to sleep outside? Taking away from his family time to make my day. Paybacks on the way.

Rob Wolford for agreeing to sell the most Original RS I have ever seen. The seatbelt clicks like the day it was delivered. The seats look like a 15K car. Special thanks for not letting some crazy detailer work on it. The car looked great.

Smith Next is an RSR get to work.

Great story, great reading, and yes, many can relate to your priceless experience. Something along the same lines happened to me at Barrett Jackson this year. I have been looking to buy the first new car I ever owned, a 1967 Plymouth GTX, 440, 4-Speed. For the last 12 years, my wife and I have been going to auctions, and I always look at the 67 GTX's, if any are there, as well as all of the Porsches. She knows exactly what my GTX was optioned with. My birthday was also that week. Because of my bad habit for always buying Porsche's, a GTX was not on the immediate horizon. For 2 days before it was to be auctioned, she kept asking me questions about this particular car. I told her other than the Blue color, it was EXACTLY like the one I had 38 years ago, but actually, I liked the blue color better. She kept asking me what I thought it would go for at auction, and I told her. I am thinking why is she asking all these questions? On Friday evening, after sitting watching insane priced cars roll across the block, up comes this GTX. The bidding stops, last call, and she raises her hand. Wait a minute, I am the one with the bidding pass Then someone else bids again, she looks at me and says, "You said it was worth more," and she raises her hand again. Once, twice, we owned the car Now fast forward 2 hours, we are sitting having a late dinner, and with tears in her eyes, she says, "I just once wanted to buy something for you that you probably would not have bought for yourself at this point in time, yet I know you really wanted to have at some time in your life. I really do not care if it turns out to be more than it might have been worth," (I have always told her we do not buy cars at auction, as there are too many egos in the bidding frenzy.) As with your story, this was one of those PRICELESS moments in your life. After checking the background on the car days later, which we owned regardless, it turned out to be a great buy. As you said, this will be the last car I could ever sell. I think you and I are both 2 lucky guys, with 2 great wives
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Great story. Although I had a heads up as to what was going on. I can hear Smith now verbally punishing you for being to slow on the draw.

Wife's are not all bad!! Another lucky man.

I was thinking about starting a training class for Wifes of Porsche lovers, I could use my wife as a good example and my ex- wife as a bad one.

Life is GOOOD.

912->911 conversion
    Nice work! My wife pulled the same stunt on my with my 69 Tangerine 912 (alhtough we're talking about 1/20th of the money of yours ). And she was doing the same sort of routine - "Great - just what we need - ANOTHER old car to sit around and gather dust". Her and a friend flew out to the West Coast of Canada and drove it home the end of last February with NO HEAT. Crazy!

Horse's Ass Replying :-)

Joe,

For every time that Smith berated you for "missing out" on the car, he has berated me twice as severely for selling the car!!!

My only consolation is that it went to a good guy like yourself who will appreciate the car and cherish it like the gem that it is. Enjoy it in good health and Merry XMAS.

BTW, my seller's remorse has been tempered just a tad by the Stradale that filled the spot on my garage previously occupied by #197!!!

Best regards.

Rob
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Joe,
    Incredible story ! Your wife did a good acting job
    Can she teach a seminar for the other wives in the group...?
    "How to own at least 5 Porsche's including an RS & be OK with it"

Nice work & yes a Christmas you will never forget !
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

It's great to see that the car stayed within the group and everyone got what they wanted for Christmas. Let's see some more pics of that Bahia Red!
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390